|Location||598 Dey Street
Niles, MI 49120
|Platforms||1 side platform, 1 island platform|
|Passengers (2013)||21,306 7%|
Michigan Central Railroad Niles Depot
|Location||Niles, Michigan, USA|
|NRHP Reference #||09000085|
|Added to NRHP||September 19, 1979|
|Designated MSHS||October 15, 1992|
Niles is a train station in Niles, Michigan, served by Amtrak, the national railroad passenger system of the United States. The Amtrak station is located along the main line east of the former Benton Harbor Branch crossing and west of the former junctions with the South Bend and Air Line Branches. Amtrak uses the old Michigan Central Railroad station; the current structure was built in 1892 and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
The Niles station is served by the Wolverine and Blue Water which lead to other stations in Michigan and Indiana before terminating in Chicago. East of Niles, the Wolverine and Blue Water share stations until after Battle Creek station. The International Limited, which had started in 1982 as joint operation by Via Rail and Amtrak between Chicago and Toronto, was discontinued in 2004. Baggage cannot be checked at this location; however, up to two suitcases in addition to any "personal items" such as briefcases, purses, laptop bags, and infant equipment are allowed on board as carry-ons.
Of the 22 Michigan stations served by Amtrak, Niles was the 13th-busiest in fiscal year 2010, boarding or detraining an average of approximately 50 passengers daily.
Movie scenes and Christmas lights
Niles Depot has been used in on-locations scenes of at least four movies. Continental Divide, starring John Belushi and Blair Brown, Midnight Run, starring Robert De Niro and Charles Grodin, and Only the Lonely starring John Candy and Ally Sheedy. It was the latter of these three which spawned a tradition of adding Christmas lights and decorations around the station annually.
- "Amtrak Fact Sheet, FY2013, State of Michigan" (PDF). Amtrak. November 2013. Retrieved 3 December 2013.
- State of Michigan (2009). "Michigan Central Railroad Niles Depot". Retrieved June 26, 2010.
- Michigan Historical Marker: Michigan Central Railroad Niles Depot
- Matt Melzer (23 April 2004). "http://www.trainweb.com/travelogues/mattmelzer/2004d21a.html". TrainWeb.org. Retrieved August 2015.
From 1982, Amtrak and VIA Rail Canada had jointly operated the International train between Chicago and TorontoExternal link in
- "Amtrak Fact Sheet, FY2010, State of Michigan" (PDF). Amtrak. November 2010. Retrieved 2011-01-06. External link in
- "Niles, Michigan (NLS)". Amtrak. Retrieved October 25, 2015.
- Media related to Niles (Amtrak station) at Wikimedia Commons
- Amtrak – Stations – Niles, MI
- Niles Amtrak Station (USA Rail Guide—Train Web)
- Michigan Central Railroad Company / Depot (The Michigan Historical Marker Web Site)
- Niles Station (Great Railroad Stations Index)
- Niles, MI (NLS) (Amtrak's Great American Stations)
|New York Central Railroad|
|Michigan Central Railroad
|Terminus||Michigan Air Line Railroad||
toward Benton Harbor
|Benton Harbor – South Bend||