This article contains content that is written like an advertisement. (November 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
This article does not cite any sources. (November 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
In 1926, Nivada was operational in Grenchen as Wüllimann Schneider Nivada S.A. The company relied on proven movements from ETA and Phénix S.A., as was typical at the time, and the company was known for quality mass-produced watches. Nivada celebrated its 100th anniversary in 1979. The company was run by Max Schneider, grandson of the founder, at that time.
Nivada was prevented from using their name during the 1960s and 1970s due to its phonetic similarity with Movado, so the products were labeled "Nivada Grenchen". In the United States, Croton was formed in 1940 as a distributor for Nivada products, so many were sold under the "Croton Nivada", "Croton Nivada Grenchen", and simply "Croton" names.
The Nivada brand was also used in South Korea by the Kim Suk Keun Watch Company from 1985 through the 2000s but appears to be defunct now.
Today, Nivada is still incorporated in Grenchen, Switzerland and the brand continues in some markets, notably in Mexico.
- Rollamatic (also "Rollador") using Phenix 200 movements.
- Reglavit, a water resistant watch with a unique external regulator screw.
- Antarctic was a long-running series of watches initiated in 1958 in celebration of the International Geophysical Year (IGY), and using the ETA 2472 movement, as well as the A. Schild 1673.
- Depthmaster was a diving watch, water resistant to 1,000 M.
- Depthomatic was another diving watch, water resistant to 200 M, and using the ETA 2472 movement.
- Alertamatic was an alarm watch using the Lemania 2980 movement.
- Ultramatic 36000 (1975) used the rare 36,000 A/h ETA 2734 movement.
Due to their close relation to Phenix/MSR, Nivada sold the Vulcain Cricket alarm watch under their own brand as the Wanderer.
|This Swiss corporation or company article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|