Norman Hudson OBE (1945 - ) is an English publisher, founder of Hudson's Historic Houses and Gardens annual guidebook, and advisor to owners of historic houses on management, development of tourism and location filming.
Norman Hudson OBE, MSc (Recreational Land Management) and BSc (Estate Management), a management and development consultant, advising on Historic House and tourism management, is Chairman of the Country Houses Foundation, a grant giving charitable body. He has been a member of the National Trust Council 1973-1988, a member of the British Tourism Development Committee, and since 1977 retained as Adviser to the Historic Houses Association (HHA) whose 1,500 members are the private owners of the most important historic houses and gardens in Great Britain. Hudson also serves as a member of the HHA’s Council and Tourism and Commercial Development Committee, and is a Director and Trustee of the [Sulgrave Manor] Trust, and
From 1987 until 2007, Hudson published, via his publishing company Norman Hudson & Co, 20 annual editions of Hudson's Historic Houses and Gardens guidebook, the principal annual guide to UK heritage property open to the public.
In September 2007 Hudson sold the Hudson's Historic Houses and Gardens title to the Heritage House Group Ltd. now rebranded as Hudson's Media Group. His involvement continues as Chairman of the judging panel for the annual Hudson's Heritage Awards.
In the 2003 Queen's Birthday Honours list, Hudson received an OBE for services to the heritage tourism industry. He is married to Jane, founder of M&G Presents, and lives in Upper Wardington, Oxfordshire. Together they have a daughter, Eleanor, and a son, James.
Hudson, prior to its sale in 2016, was Chairman of M&G Presents Ltd, one of the principal UK mail order gift catalogue businesses, which now trades under the brand QWERKITY.
Books – Author/Editor
- Historic Houses and Gardens of the Thames and Chilterns (1979) with Thames and Chilterns Tourist Board staff, Jarrold and Sons, 32 pages, ISBN 0-85306-827-5, ISBN 978-0-85306-827-3. Revised edition (1982) 32 pages, ISBN 0-7117-0043-5, ISBN 978-0-7117-0043-7.
- Hudson's Historic Houses and Gardens (1987-2007) Norman Hudson & Co, annually, totalling 20 editions, starting with title dates 1987-8, then 1989 and so on annually. There are also identical USA editions, but with a different cover highlighting Great Britain and Ireland, and a separate ISBN through Globe Pequot Press. See the section below for further details.
- Film and Photography for Historic Houses and Gardens (1988) A Handbook for the Historic Houses Association, the National Trust and English Heritage, with Sarah Greenwood, Capability Publishing, 82 pages, ISBN 0-9514062-1-3, ISBN 978-0-9514062-1-2.
- Film and Photography for Historic Houses and Gardens (1995) A Historic Houses Association Handbook, 98 pages, ISBN 0-9525482-0-8, ISBN 978-0-9525482-0-1.
- Hudson's Guide to Historic Properties in Scotland (1997) Norman Hudson & Co, 290 pages, ISBN 0-9514157-9-4, ISBN 978-0-9514157-9-5. Revised editions - (1998) 64 pages, ISBN 0-9531426-0-4, ISBN 978-0-9531426-0-6; (1999) 88 pages, ISBN 0-9531426-3-9, ISBN 978-0-9531426-3-7.
- Hudson’s Historic Family Homes and Gardens: From the Air (2002) Norman Hudson & Co, foreword by HHA President - the Earl of Leicester, 192 pages, hardcover, ISBN 0-9531426-8-X, ISBN 978-0-9531426-8-2. Paperback (2002) ISBN 0-9531426-9-8, ISBN 978-0-9531426-9-9.
Books – Published by Norman Hudson & Company
- Highclere Castle (1988) by Sarah Greenwood, 31 pages, (Highclere Castle).
- Thirlestane Castle & the Border Country Life Museum, Lauder, Berwickshire: an illustrated guide (1989) 32 pages (Thirlestane Castle).
- A Walk for Diana: The Diana, Princess of Wales Memorial Walk (2001) by Tom Corby and Lucy Trench, paperback, 84 pages, ISBN 0-9531426-6-3, ISBN 978-0-9531426-6-8 (Memorial Walk).
Books – Editions of Hudson's Historic Houses and Gardens
The year listed below is that shown on the book cover, not the date published, which is usually at the end of the year before the cover year. The property name is of that featured on the front cover. For each year, the UK edition is listed first, then the separate US edition (which ceased after the 2007 edition).
- 2008 - Dunrobin Castle, ISBN 1-904387-07-1, ISBN 978-1-904387-07-7.
- 2009 - Dumfries House, ISBN 0-85101-886-6, ISBN 978-0-85101-886-7.
- Charities Commission listing for the Country Houses Foundation retrieved 7 February 2008
- 20th Anniversary article by Norman Hudson, Hudson's Historic Houses and Gardens 2007, UK edition, pages 64-5,