Norra Tornen in April 2019
|Town or city||Stockholm|
|Height||East: 125 metres (410 ft)|
West: 110 metres (360 ft)
|Floor count||East: 35|
|Design and construction|
|Architect||Reinier de Graaf|
Norra Tornen (in English, Northern Towers) are a pair of skyscrapers currently under development, located in Vasastaden district of Stockholm, Sweden. Opened in 2018, the eastern tower is 125 m (410 ft) tall, consisting of 36 floors. The west tower will open 2020 and be 110 m (360 ft) tall, with 33 floors. The complex will contain 300 residential units and ground breaking took place in the autumn of 2015.
In 2009, the Stockholm City planning office called for the construction of two skyscrapers in a new residential area on the border between Stockholm and Solna, a planning area later named Hagastaden. These 145 m (476 ft) twin towers were called "Tors Torn" in the original zoning plan, after the Torsplan plaza on which they were meant to be built. The general shape and approximate height were decided by City Architect Aleksander Wolodarski.
Despite being criticised for its height and for being similar to the Embarcadero Center in San Francisco, a Norwegian company was awarded the contract to build the skyscrapers – only to pull out in 2011, citing lack of funds. In 2012, the city invited several companies for a new informal competition for the development rights to the property. Mayor Sten Nordin finally presented the winning proposal in June 2013: A design by the Dutch architectural firm OMA, commissioned by Oscar Properties, scheduled for completion in 2018.
- "OMA's Stockholm skyscrapers move towards construction". De Zeen. Retrieved 7 January 2015.
- "Många ville veta läget i Hagastaden" (in Swedish). Stockholm Municipality. 2014-11-09. Retrieved 7 January 2015.
- "NORRA STATION – DEN TÄTA STADENS ATTRAKTIONSKRAFT - DP 2009-02013-54" (in Swedish). Stockholm Municipality. Retrieved 7 January 2015.
- "Arkitekt får hård kritik" (in Swedish). Svenska Dagbladet. 2010-03-08. Retrieved 8 January 2015.
- "Ang. utformningen av Tors Torn, inför KF:s antagande av detaljplan för Vasastaden 1:16 i stadsdelen Vasastaden - SR Dnr 2009-0375" (PDF) (in Swedish). Stockholm Municipality & Stockholm Beauty Council. 7 December 2009. Retrieved 7 January 2015.
- Ekberg, Eddie. "Slottner: Viktigt att Tors torn byggs" (in Swedish). Fastighetssverige. Retrieved 7 January 2015.
- "Formella beslut - bygg.stockholm.se" (in Swedish). Stockholm Municipality. Retrieved 7 January 2015.
I maj 2011 avslutade exploateringskontoret förhandlingarna [...] och markanvisningen [drogs tillbaka]. Den ursprungliga markanvisningen gjordes den 19 november 2009 till Oslo Naeringseiendom
- "Nystart för markanvisningsprocess i Hagastaden" (in Swedish). Stockholm Municipality. 5 June 2012. Retrieved 7 January 2015.
- Sundström, Anders (2013-06-17). "De ersätter Tors torn" (in Swedish). Dagens Nyheter. Retrieved 7 January 2015.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Norra tornen.|