convention logo from badge
|Venue||Galt House Hotel|
|Inaugurated||August 30-September 3, 1979|
NorthAmeriCon '79 was the second North American Science Fiction Convention, held in Louisville, Kentucky, on August 30-September 3, 1979, at the Galt House Hotel. This NASFiC was held because Brighton, England, was selected as the location for the 1979 Worldcon.
Guests of honor
After the 1979 Worldcon was awarded to a site in England, Louisville was chosen as the site for the second NASFiC during the WSFS business meeting at Suncon, the 35th World Science Fiction Convention, in Miami Beach, Florida. Louisville ran unopposed and was chosen by acclamation during the business meeting.
NorthAmeriCon '79 was put together, in part, by the organizers of RiverCon, a local Louisville convention.
- Chair: Cliff Amos
- Vice-Chair: Bob Roehm
- Operations: Ken Amos
- Registrar: Steve Francis
- Special Events: Shelby Bush and Irvin Koch
- Publications: Bob Roehm
- Art Show: Ken & Lou Moore
- Film Program: Mike Hutto and Mike Jenevice
The official convention newsletter, known as Nebula, was produced by Richard and Nicki Lynch. The Lynches produced the award-winning fanzine Mimosa from 1982 to 2003.
- "Best in Show" at the Masquerade was won by a burlesque skit titled "The Avengers of Space" organized by Carol Resnick and including her husband, author Mike Resnick.
Notable program participants
Steve Jackson, later of Steve Jackson Games, was in attendance. In Space Gamer #29, he noted: "Labor Day, 1979: I was at North Americon in Louisville, trying to relax. In my spare moments, I would occasionally gaze at my briefcase and grin mindlessly. It contained a completely typeset copy of TFT:ITL" (i.e. The Fantasy Trip: In the Labyrinth, which would not be published until the following year).
- "The Long List of NASFiCs". WSFS Long List Committee. Retrieved August 12, 2010.
- Flynn, George. "NASFiC Site Selection". NESFA. Retrieved September 25, 2009.
- Francis, Steve; Sue Francis (1997). "PART III: Regional Survey: Kentucky - NorthAmeriCon '79". 1997 Southern Fandom Confederation Handbook & History. Retrieved September 23, 2009.
- Resnick, Mike. "Me and the Slime God". Retrieved September 23, 2009.
1st North American Science Fiction Convention
NASFiC in Los Angeles, United States (1975)
|List of NASFiCs
2nd North American Science Fiction Convention
NorthAmeriCon '79 in Louisville, KY, United States (1979)
3rd North American Science Fiction Convention
LoneStarCon 1 in Austin, TX, United States (1985)