The name was first published by Joseph Dalton Hooker, in Hooker's Icones Plantarum (Sep 1884), in his description of Northia seychellana. The spelling was given as Northia on the plate, but the variant Northea in the text. Hooker gave the genus name in honour of the botanical illustrator and painter, Marianne North.
- formerly included
- Northia fasciculata - Manilkara fasciculata - Indonesia, Philippines, New Guinea
- Northia hoshinoi - Manilkara hoshinoi - Pohnpei
- Northia vitiensis - Manilkara vitiensis - Fiji
- Hooker, Joseph Dalton. 1884. Hooker's Icones Plantarum 15: page 57 description in Latin, commentary in English
- Kew World Checklist of Selected Plant Families
- Hooker, Joseph Dalton. 1884. Hooker's Icones Plantarum 15: plate 1473. line drawing as illustration
- "Northia". Plant Name details. International Plant Names Index. 2005. Retrieved 2008-11-12.
|This Sapotaceae article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|