Not Thinking Straight (album)
||This article has an unclear citation style. (March 2015)|
|Not Thinking Straight|
|Studio album by Matt Fishel|
|Released||April 8, 2013|
|Matt Fishel chronology|
|Singles from Not Thinking Straight|
Not Thinking Straight is the debut studio album by British singer, songwriter and recording artist Matt Fishel. It was released internationally on April 8, 2013 through Fishel's own record label Young Lust Records.
Style and themes
Musically, the album incorporates elements of alternative rock, punk rock, pop punk and rock. It has been described as "a blend of heavy guitars, big vocal harmonies and anthemic choruses". Fishel is openly gay and many of the songs and lyrics on Not Thinking Straight deal candidly with the "joys, pains and experiences of growing up as a gay teenager and young man". The album showcases Fishel's "unique style of songwriting and production" and comprises thirteen tracks that explore love, lust, education, sexuality and "themes and issues surrounding gay life, relationships and experiences". In an interview with RightOutTV, Fishel said of the album: "Some songs are loud, angry and full of energy; some are fun, celebratory or tongue-in-cheek and others are quieter, more reflective and nostalgic." He told Jon Roth of Out Magazine: "There are songs on the album about boyfriends and relationships, coming out and the places I’ve lived, religion, hypocrisy, sexuality and education."
Artwork and album booklet
The artwork for Not Thinking Straight was created by San Diego comic book artist and illustrator Joe Phillips. The album cover depicts Fishel as a superhero in cartoon form, with a guitar on his back and piano keys around his hands. The words 'Super Fishel Comics' and '#1 First Issue' are also written on the cover. The CD version of the album comes with a sixteen-page colour booklet and the iTunes release comes with a digital eighteen-page colour booklet, each containing full artwork, lyrics, credits and thank yous. Both versions of the album booklet are presented in a comic book format. Each contains eighteen original illustrations by Phillips, with each illustration representing a different song's lyrics and showing images of young gay life and relationships.
Singles, remixes and B-sides
Six singles have been released from Not Thinking Straight: "Football Song" (released June 7, 2010), "The First Time" (released November 7, 2011), "Behind Closed Doors" (released April 9, 2012), "Testament" (released May 28, 2012), "Radio-Friendly Pop Song" (released March 18, 2013) and "When Boy Meets Boy" (released June 3, 2013). An a cappella version of album track "Armitage Shanks (Jamie)" was released as a B-side to the "Football Song" single; Amsterdam remixer/producer Matt Pop provided two remixes of "The First Time" for its single release; the "Behind Closed Doors" single includes both a remix of the song by J Stax and an a cappella version of the song performed by Fishel and the "When Boy Meets Boy" single includes an acoustic version of the song and another remix by Matt Pop.
Official music videos were released for singles "Football Song" (directed by Dan Shipton), "The First Time" (directed by Alexis Dos Santos), "Testament" (directed by Arno), "Radio-Friendly Pop Song" (produced by Tyjens Media and animated by Kenneth Wilcox) and "When Boy Meets Boy" (directed and animated by Joe Phillips).
Howard Stump of music blog Soundtrack To My Day said Not Thinking Straight was: "smart, funny, and still remains honest and very real. And when you pair honesty and smart up so well, it can't help but be kinda sexy, too. Stylistically [there is] a wonderfully eclectic feeling to [Fishel's] music. And while he tells universal stories of love, loss and life, Matt doesn't shy away from the fact he is a gay man, using that experience to enrich the lyrics....[it's] a wonderful journey, touching on aspects of life from teen to adult. The album touches my heart in so many ways, at times making me smile, or give a sigh, or even drop a tear or two. It speaks to our shared histories of love, hurt, and confusion, all part of growing up." Music journalist and broadcaster JD Doyle of Queer Music Heritage said of Not Thinking Straight: "I just love the new Matt Fishel CD! I've been calling his music 'Political Power Pop'...it's music that never even thought about being in the closet."
Awards and nominations
Co-operative Respect 'Loved By You' Awards
|2013||Not Thinking Straight||Album of the Year||Won|
All songs written and composed by Matt Fishel.
All songs produced by Fishel and Mark Crew except for "Football Song", produced by Fishel.
|CD and digital download|
|1.||"Radio-Friendly Pop Song"||3:49|
|3.||"Behind Closed Doors"||3:30|
|4.||"The First Time"||3:15|
|8.||"Armitage Shanks (Jamie)"||2:47|
|11.||"Boxer Shorts & Razor Blades"||3:43|
|13.||"When Boy Meets Boy"||3:45|
Credits & Personnel
- Album executive producer: Matt Fishel
- All songs written and arranged by Matt Fishel
- Matt Fishel - All lead and background vocals, guitars, piano, keyboards, synths and programming
- Mark Crew - Keyboards and programming
- Jonas Jalhay - Guitars and Bass
- Siri Steinmo - Additional background vocals on "Testament" and "Behind Closed Doors"
- Marcus Bonfanti - Additional guitars on "Football Song"
- All songs (except "Football Song") - Produced by Matt Fishel and Mark Crew / Recorded, engineered and mixed by Mark Crew at Unit 24, London UK / Additional instruments and all background vocals performed, arranged, recorded and engineered by Matt Fishel at Superfishel Studios, London UK
- "Football Song" - Produced, arranged, performed, engineered and mixed by Matt Fishel at Superfishel Studios, London UK / Additional mixing by Jos Jorgensen
- All songs mastered by Streaky for Streaky Mastering
- Album artwork by Joe Phillips
- "Football Song" illustration by Jacopo Camagni
- Matt Fishel photograph by Claire Newman-Williams
- "This week's new releases 08-04-2013", Official Charts Company, UK, 8 April 2013. Retrieved on 9 December 2013.
- "iTunes-Music-Matt Fishel-Not-Thinking-Straight", Retrieved on 9 December 2013.
- "mattfishel.com", Official Matt Fishel website. Retrieved on 09 December 2013.
- "Not Thinking Straight - Audio CD", Retrieved on 9 December 2013.
- Hopps, Gordon. "Songs In The Key Of Gay - Matt Fishel", Bent Magazine, UK, 15 March 2013. Retrieved on 9 December 2013. Cite error: Invalid
<ref>tag; name "Bent" defined multiple times with different content (see the help page).
- Watts, Laurence. "Interview: Matt Fishel on his new album Not Thinking Straight", Pink News, UK, 21 April 2013. Retrieved on 9 December 2013.
- Feature: "Matt Fishel is Not Thinking Straight", RightOut TV, Canada. Retrieved on 9 December 2013.
- Roth, Jon. "Matt Fishel's First Time", Out Magazine, USA, 16 December 2011. Retrieved on 9 December 2013.
- "Out Radio: April 2013, Part 1 - JD Doyle Interviews Matt Fishel", JD Doyle, Out Radio, USA, April 2013. Retrieved on 9 December 2013.
- "iTunes-Music-Matt Fishel-Football Song-Single", Retrieved on 9 December 2013.
- "iTunes-Music-Matt Fishel-The First Time-Single", Retrieved on 9 December 2013.
- "iTunes-Music-Matt Fishel-Behind Closed Doors-Single", Retrieved on 9 December 2013.
- "iTunes-Music-Matt Fishel-When Boy Meets Boy-Single", Retrieved on 9 December 2013.
- on YouTube, YouTube. 11 October 2009. Retrieved on 9 December 2013.
- on YouTube, YouTube. 30 October 2011. Retrieved on 9 December 2013.
- on YouTube, YouTube. 20 May 2012. Retrieved on 9 December 2013.
- on YouTube, YouTube. 10 March 2013. Retrieved on 9 December 2013.
- on YouTube, YouTube. 02 June 2013. Retrieved on 9 December 2013.
- Stump, Howard. "Matt Fishel * Not Thinking Straight", Soundtrack To My Day, USA, 2 May 2013. Retrieved on 9 December 2013.
- "JD Doyle Interviews Matt Fishel April 2013 The Script", Queer Music Heritage - JD Doyle, USA, April 2013. Retrieved on 9 December 2013.
- "Respect 'Loved By You' Awards 2013", UK, 19 December 2013. Retrieved on 20 December 2013.
- "CoopRespectLGBT on Twitter", UK, 19 December 2013. Retrieved on 20 December 2013.
- NotThinking Straight (CD liner / Young Lust Records). Matt Fishel. Europe / United Kingdom. 2013. p. 16. YLR001CD.