O the Deep, Deep Love of Jesus
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (November 2012) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|"O the Deep, Deep Love of Jesus"|
|Text||by Samuel Trevor Francis|
|Melody||"Ebenezer, "Welsh melody, adapted by Thomas John Williams|
"O the Deep Deep, Love of Jesus" is a well-known Christian hymn, written by the London merchant Samuel Trevor Francis. Francis (1834–1925) had a spiritual turning point as a teenager, contemplating suicide one night on a bridge over the River Thames. Experiencing a renewal of faith, he went on to author many poems and hymns and was a preacher in addition to his merchant career.
The song compares Jesus' love to the ocean in scope, emphasizing the limitless, unchanging, and sacrificial nature of God's affections for the singer and all of humanity. It consists of three stanzas each utilizing an A, A, B, B rhyming structure. Various melodic and harmonic arrangements of the song have been published, the most common being a minor melody in 3/4 time.
O the deep, deep love of Jesus, vast, unmeasured, boundless, free!
Rolling as a mighty ocean in its fullness over me!
Underneath me, all around me, is the current of Thy love
Leading onward, leading homeward to Thy glorious rest above!
O the deep, deep love of Jesus, spread His praise from shore to shore!
How He loveth, ever loveth, changeth never, nevermore!
How He watches o'er His loved ones, died to call them all His own;
How for them He intercedeth, watcheth o'er them from the throne!
O the deep, deep love of Jesus, love of every love the best!
'Tis an ocean vast of blessing, 'tis a haven sweet of rest!
O the deep, deep love of Jesus, 'tis a heaven of heavens to me;
And it lifts me up to glory, for it lifts me up to Thee!
- Beecher Hymn tune by John Zundel and Henry Ward Beecher
- Pure Piano Panoramas (2000) by Jeff Bjorck. Uses a variation of the Ebenezer tune
- Hiding Place (2004) by Selah. Uses a variation of the Ebenezer tune
- "O the Deep, Deep Love of Jesus!" (2004) by David Ward
- Be Still My Soul (2006) by Ann Walsh (Ebenezer tune)
- Come Weary Saints (2008) by Sovereign Grace Music (text adapted by Bob Kauflin, music by Bob Kauflin)
- Sweet Exchange (2010) by Heather Payne and Terry Jones
- "Oh, the Deep Deep Love of Jesus" (2016) by Audrey Assad
- Bence, Evelyn (1997). Spiritual Moments with the Great Hymns: Devotional Readings That Strengthen the Heart. Zondervan. pp. 7–8. ISBN 9780310208402.
- "O the deep deep love of Jesus" on "Center for Christian music" (story, lyric, sheet music)