The Oceans Seven is a marathon swimming challenge consisting of seven open water channel swims. It was proposed in 2008 as the swimming equivalent of the Seven Summits mountaineering challenge. It includes the North Channel, the Cook Strait, the Molokai Channel, the English Channel, the Catalina Channel, the Tsugaru Strait and the Strait of Gibraltar.
List of successful completions
|Stephen Redmond||Ireland||First ever to complete all seven swims|
|Michelle Macy||United States|
|Darren Miller||United States|
|Adam Walker||United Kingdom|||
|Kimberley Chambers||New Zealand|
|Ion Lazarenco-Tiron||Republic of Moldova||First Moldovan|
|Rohan Dattatrey More||India||First Asian|
|Abhejali Bernardová||Czech Republic||First from a landlocked country|
|Cameron Bellamy||South Africa||First South African|
|Lynton Mortensen||Australia||First Australian|
|Thomas “Fleppy” Pembroke||Australia||Youngest (29 years)|
An alternative definition of the Oceans Seven is one channel from each of the seven continents, just as the Seven Summits refers to the highest summit on each of the seven continents. For this definition, the list would include a South American channel and a swim in Antarctica. For example, Lynne Cox has swum channels in 6 continents and swam for 25 minutes in Antarctica.
- Tim Moss (7 September 2014). "What are the Oceans Seven?". TheNextChallenge.Org. Retrieved 5 August 2017.
- O'Connell, Hugh (15 July 2012). "Irish swimmer completes gruelling open water challenge". The Journal. Retrieved 20 February 2014.
- "Open-ocean swimmer Adam Walker: 'Hardest swim of my life'". BBC News. BBC. 11 September 2013. Retrieved 2013-09-11.
- Adam Skolnik (5 August 2017). "In a Swimmer's Two-Year Quest, a Final 21-Mile Challenge". New York Times. Retrieved 5 August 2017.
- "Ion Lazarenco profile". OpenWaterPedia. Retrieved 2019-05-16.
- "Pune swimmer world's youngest to complete Ocean 7 Challenge". Inshorts - Stay Informed. Retrieved 2018-02-11.
- "Cameron Bellamy Does Oceans Seven, South African 1st". dailynews.openwaterswimming.com. Retrieved 2018-06-22.
- Munatones, Steven. "Indomitable: Sea Bull Completes The Oceans Seven". Retrieved 2018-12-07.
- "Oceans Seven Swimmers". Oceans Seven. Marathon Swimmers Federation. Retrieved 21 June 2018.
- Sataline, Suzanne (2010); "Extreme Swimmers Accept the Challenge of 'Oceans Seven'"; Wall Street Journal. Retrieved October 16, 2010.