|A greenbone (Odax pullus)|
The Odacidae are a small family of ray-finned fishes formerly classified within the order Perciformes, commonly known as cales, and weed whitings. They are related to the much larger families of the wrasses and parrotfish. More recent workers have classified this family within the order Labriformes, alongside the wrasses and parrotfishes, within the clade Percomorpha.
Odacids are found in coastal waters off Southern Australia and New Zealand. They include species that feed on small invertebrates, as well as herbivorous grazers, some of which are able to feed on chemically unpleasant varieties of kelp otherwise unpalatable to fish.
The following genera are classified in the family Odacidae:
- Haletta Whitley, 1947
- Heteroscarus Castelnau, 1872
- Neoodax Castelnau, 1875
- Odax Valenciennes, 1840
- Parodax Scott, 1976 (synonymous with Siphonognathus according to Fishbase
- Olisthops Richardson, 1850
- Sheardichthys Whitley, 1947 (synonymous with Siphonognathus according to Fishbase
- Siphonognathus Richardson, 1858
Fishbase places six species in the genus Siphonognathus, the Catalog of Fishes places four of the six species in the separate genus Sheardichthys and places S. caninis on the monospecific genus Parodax, leaving Siphonognathus as a monospecific genus containing only S. argyrophanes.
- Froese, Rainer, and Daniel Pauly, eds. (2014). "Odacidae" in FishBase. February 2014 version.
- Choat, J.W. & Bellwood, D.R. (1998). Paxton, J.R. & Eschmeyer, W.N. (eds.). Encyclopedia of Fishes. San Diego: Academic Press. xxx. ISBN 0-12-547665-5.
- J. S. Nelson; T. C. Grande; M. V. H. Wilson (2016). Fishes of the World (5th ed.). Wiley. pp. 427–430. ISBN 978-1-118-34233-6.
- Eschmeyer, William N.; Fricke, Ron & van der Laan, Richard (eds.). "Genera in the family Odacidae". Catalog of Fishes. California Academy of Sciences. Retrieved 3 February 2020.
- Froese, Rainer and Pauly, Daniel, eds. (2006). Species of Siphonognathus in FishBase. August 2006 version.
- Eschmeyer, William N.; Fricke, Ron & van der Laan, Richard (eds.). "Species in the genus Siphonognathus". Catalog of Fishes. California Academy of Sciences. Retrieved 5 February 2020.