One More Light (song)
|"One More Light"|
Steve Aoki Chester Forever Remix cover art
|Single by Linkin Park|
|from the album One More Light|
|Released||October 3, 2017|
|Linkin Park singles chronology|
| on YouTube|
"One More Light" is a song by American rock band Linkin Park. It is the ninth and title track from their seventh studio album of the same name, as well as their last single with longtime lead vocalist Chester Bennington. The song was co-written with Eg White about a friend of the band, Amy Zaret, who had died of cancer. The song was released to US contemporary hit radio on October 3, 2017 as the album's third single. It is Bennington's second posthumously released single.
The music video for this song was also voted number one in a poll of Fuse Top 40 Videos of 2017 and is also nominated for Best Rock Video at the 2018 MTV Video Music Awards.
In late 2016, Shinoda revealed that he had worked with British songwriter Eg White on a song. In an interview leading up to the reveal of the album's lead single, "Heavy", Shinoda revealed that White had worked with him on the song "One More Light" while Brad Delson attended the funeral of one of the band's friends. When asked what he wanted to write about by White, Shinoda said that the only thing he could think about was the friend who had passed. He revealed that, in spite of the horrible inevitability of loss, the song is about letting people know that you care.
|“||We had a friend who worked for the record label for a long time and came up with us from years and years ago. She started out in radio promo and was basically driving us to the local radio stations in the U.S. Midwest, eventually getting promoted and promoted. At some point last year, I suddenly heard that she'd got cancer - and then all of a sudden she had died. We knew we absolutely had to write about what happened. It's a sad song, but the pay-off is that when something dramatic and painful like that happens, the most important thing to do is to connect with the people you love and remind them you care about them."||”|
The band surprised some of the people who worked at Warner with the song, and people reacted very emotionally to it, with some weeping, giving hugs, and telling stories. They played the song on Jimmy Kimmel Live! and dedicated it to their late friend Chris Cornell who had died a day before.
After lead singer Chester Bennington's suicide on July 20, 2017, the band selected "One More Light" as their next single. Shinoda wrote "One More Light was written with the intention of sending love to those who lost someone. We now find ourselves on the receiving end. In memorial events, art, videos, and images, fans all over the world have gravitated towards this song as their declaration of love and support for the band and the memory of our dear friend, Chester. We are so very grateful and can’t wait to see you again."
On October 25, 2017, American DJ/Producer and Linkin Park collaborator Steve Aoki released his remix of "One More Light", as his second tribute song to Bennington following his mashup, "Darker Than The Light That Never Bleeds", which was released a month earlier.
The official video was uploaded to Linkin Park's YouTube channel on September 18, 2017, and directed by Joe Hahn and Mark Fiore. It features footage of Chester performing in the middle of fans, footage of him at live shows such as Live in Texas and Road to Revolution: Live at Milton Keynes, and past music videos for their past singles "Burn It Down", "Waiting for the End" and "Powerless", as well as the band themselves through the years. On making the music video, Hahn said:
|“||It has been incredibly emotional to work on this, and especially to watch it. I feel that by doing it, we not only faced some of our biggest fears, but it enabled us to use our talents to bring some light to people that need it. As we move forward to the Hollywood Bowl show and beyond, I think about the people that connect with the band, outside and inside our circle. This video is a gesture of good will to the people that want that connection.||”|
Upon its release, the video racked up 3 million views on YouTube in the first 24 hours. As of July 28, 2018, the video has reached over 100 million views.
On 3 October 2017, Linkin Park uploaded an official lyric video to YouTube. This video was created by Nicola Drilling and fans of Linkin Park from around the world. As of June 8, 2018, the lyric video has more than 5 million views on YouTube.
|Digital download – remix|
|1.||"One More Light" (Chester Forever Steve Aoki Remix)||4:10|
- Chester Bennington – lead vocals
- Brad Delson – guitars, production
- Dave "Phoenix" Farrell – bass guitar
- Mr. Hahn – samples, programming
- Mike Shinoda – backing vocals, keyboards, production
- Guitar and piano by Eg White
- Written by Mike Shinoda and Francis White
- Produced by Mike Shinoda and Brad Delson
- Vocal production by Emily Wright
- Music performed by Linkin Park
- Vocals by Chester Bennington and Mike Shinoda
- Chester's vocals recorded at The Pool Recording Studio, London, UK
- Mike's vocals recorded at The Warehouse Studio, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
- Music recorded at Larrabee Studios, North Hollywood, CA and Sphere Studios, North Hollywood, CA
- Engineered by Ethan Mates, Mike Shinoda and Josh Newell
- Assistant engineer: Alejandro Baima
- Studio B assistant engineer: Warren Willis
- Studio drum tech: Jerry Johnson
- Mixed by Manny Marooquin at Larrabee Studios, North Hollywood, CA
- Mix engineer: Chris Galland assisted by Jeff Jackson and Robin Florent
|United States (RIAA)||Gold||500,000|
*sales figures based on certification alone
|United States||October 2, 2017||Hot adult contemporary radio||Warner Bros.|||
|October 3, 2017||Contemporary hit radio|||
- "Top 40/M Future Releases - Mainstream Hit Songs Being Released and Their Release Dates". All Access. September 29, 2017. Archived from the original on September 29, 2017. Retrieved January 15, 2018.
- Eighth Studio Update, November 14, 2016
- Linkin Park’s Mike Shinoda Talks Pop Co-Writes Radio.com
- 102.1 the Edge - FB LIVE - LINKIN PARK, March 17, 2017
- Linkin Park im Interview: War es das letzte Album? - YouTube, April 12, 2017
- Linkin Park's Mike Shinoda | Full Interview, February 16, 2017
- Linkin Park Races Go-Karts & Breaks Down The Making Of 'One More Light' | IRL - YouTube, May 24, 2017
- Amy Zaret, Warner Bros. Records Veteran, Dies | Billboard, October 14, 2015
- Kerrang! Magazine Interview with Linkin Park | LP Association Forums, March 01, 2017
- Linkin Park Dedicate 'One More Light' to Chris Cornell on 'Kimmel' Fuse
- One More Light (Official Video) - Linkin Park, September 18, 2017
- "One More Light (Steve Aoki Chester Forever Remix) - Single by LINKIN PARK on Apple Music". iTunes. Retrieved October 31, 2017.
- "One More Light (Official Lyric Video) - Linkin Park". YouTube. Retrieved April 4, 2018.
- "ARIA Chart Watch #431". auspOp. July 29, 2017. Retrieved July 29, 2017.
- "Austriancharts.at – Linkin Park – One More Light" (in German). Ö3 Austria Top 40. Retrieved August 3, 2017.
- "Linkin Park Chart History (Canadian Hot 100)". Billboard. Retrieved August 3, 2017.
- "ČNS IFPI" (in Czech). Hitparáda – Digital Top 100 Oficiální. IFPI Czech Republic. Note: Change the chart to CZ – SINGLES DIGITAL – TOP 100 and insert 201730 into search. Retrieved August 1, 2017.
- "Top 100 Ecuador" (in Spanish). National-Report. Archived from the original on May 25, 2018. Retrieved May 25, 2018.
- "Le Top de la semaine : Top Singles Téléchargés – SNEP (Week 30, 2017)" (in French). Syndicat National de l'Édition Phonographique. Retrieved July 29, 2017.
- "Offiziellecharts.de – Linkin Park – One More Light". GfK Entertainment Charts. Retrieved July 28, 2017.
- "Archívum – Slágerlisták – MAHASZ" (in Hungarian). Single (track) Top 40 lista. Magyar Hanglemezkiadók Szövetsége. Retrieved October 12, 2017.
- "Archívum – Slágerlisták – MAHASZ" (in Hungarian). Stream Top 40 slágerlista. Magyar Hanglemezkiadók Szövetsége. Retrieved August 3, 2017.
- "Classifica settimanale WK 30" (in Italian). Federazione Industria Musicale Italiana. Retrieved July 29, 2017.
- "BillboardPH Hot 100". Billboard Philippines. August 14, 2017. Retrieved August 14, 2017.
- "Portuguesecharts.com – Linkin Park – One More Light". AFP Top 100 Singles. Retrieved August 5, 2017.
- "Official Scottish Singles Sales Chart Top 100". Official Charts Company. Retrieved July 29, 2017.
- "ČNS IFPI" (in Slovak). Hitparáda – Singles Digital Top 100 Oficiálna. IFPI Czech Republic. Note: Select SINGLES DIGITAL - TOP 100 and insert 201730 into search. Retrieved August 1, 2017.
- "Swisscharts.com – Linkin Park – One More Light". Swiss Singles Chart. Retrieved July 31, 2017.
- "Linkin Park Chart History (Bubbling Under Hot 100)". Billboard. Retrieved August 3, 2017.
- "Linkin Park Chart History (Adult Pop Songs)". Billboard. Retrieved October 31, 2017.
- "Linkin Park Chart History (Hot Rock Songs)". Billboard. Retrieved August 4, 2017.
- "Hot Rock Songs – Year-End 2017". Billboard. Retrieved October 11, 2019.
- "Hot Rock Songs – Year-End 2018". Billboard. Retrieved December 8, 2019.
- "Italian single certifications – Linkin Park – One More Light" (in Italian). Federazione Industria Musicale Italiana. Select "2018" in the "Anno" drop-down menu. Select "One More Light" in the "Filtra" field. Select "Singoli online" under "Sezione".
- "American certifications – Linkin Park – One More Light". Recording Industry Association of America. Retrieved February 28, 2019.
- "Hot/Modern/AC Future Releases". All Access Music Group. Retrieved 15 September 2017.
- on YouTube