Onnu Muthal Poojyam Vare
|Onnu Muthal Poojyam Vare|
|Directed by||Reghunath Paleri|
|Produced by||Navodaya Appachan|
|Written by||Reghunath Paleri|
|Music by||Mohan Sithara|
|Cinematography||Shaji N. Karun|
|Edited by||T. R. Shekhar|
Onnu Muthal Poojyam Vare (transl. From One to Zero) is a 1986 Indian Malayalam-language drama film produced by Navodaya Appachan under Navodaya Studio and written and directed by Reghunath Paleri in his directorial debut. Mohanlal's voice-over features throughout the film, but he appears only at the end of the story, the film features Asha Jayaram and Geethu Mohandas. Suresh Gopi and Mukesh makes cameo appearances.
The film explores the loneliness of a widow and the need of a father figure for her daughter. The film won six Kerala State Film Awards—Best Debut Director, Best Child Artist (Geethu), Best Cinematography (Karun), Best Editor (Shekhar), Best Art Director, and Best Sound Recordist.
This article needs an improved plot summary. (January 2017)
The film sheds light on the story of Aleena (Asha Jayaram), a widow and her four-year-old daughter Deepamol (Geethu Mohandas). Aleena lives with her daughter treasuring the memories of her late husband (Prathap Pothan) in a big house. She repeatedly dismisses the notion of remarriage. She is a painter and works in the advertising industry. Deepamol is a bubbly little girl always playing around with the telephone making random calls. One such call turns their life forever when Deepamol gets in contact with her "Telephone uncle" (Mohanlal). Deepamol gets attached to Telephone uncle very fast. Though Aleena was on the fence and skeptical of the man's intentions, she eventually falls in love. Telephone uncle resists the coercions from the mother and never reveals his name or whereabouts. Finally, he comes to their place on the night of Deepamol's birthday raising Aleena's hope for a better life, only to put an end to it within a very short time.
- Asha Jayaram as Aleena
- Geethu Mohandas as Deepamol
- Nedumudi Venu as Dr. K. K. Menon
- Sukumari as Sister
- Shari as Elizabeth, Aleena's friend
- Prathap Pothan as Josekutty, Aleena's late husband
- Zainuddin as the Santa Clause
- Kalabhavan Rahman as the icecream parlour waiter
- Suresh Gopi as the man at the beach (Cameo appearance)
- Mukesh as the man at the ice cream parlour (Cameo appearance)
- Mohanlal as Telephone uncle (Cameo appearance)
Geethu Mohandas who was barely four years old made her acting debut as child artist with this film. In order to make her perform to the character, the film's director Paleri used to converse with her through telephone as Mohanlal's character to make her get familiarise with the character.
|1.||"Ponnoleevin" (Malarppanthalpolaam)||G. Venugopal, Choir|
|2.||"Ponnum Thinkal"||K. S. Chithra|
|3.||"Ponnum Thinkal Pottum Maane" (Male)||G. Venugopal|
|4.||"Raaree Raareeram"||K. S. Chithra, G. Venugopal|
|Kerala State Film Award||Best Debut Director||Raghunath Paleri||Won|||
|Best Child Artist||Geethu Mohandas||Won|
|Best Cinematography||Shaji N. Karun||Won|
|Best Editor||T. R. Sekhar||Won|
|Best Art Director||K. Sheker||Won|
|Best Sound Recordist||Selvaraj||Won|
- "Onnu Muthal Poojyam Vare". www.malayalachalachithram.com. Retrieved 23 October 2014.
- "Onnu Muthal Poojyam Vare". spicyonion.com. Retrieved 23 October 2014.
- "ഒന്നു മുതല് പൂജ്യം വരെ (1986)". malayalasangeetham.info. Retrieved 23 October 2014.
- Kerala State Chalachitra Academy (1986). "State Film Awards - 2000". Department of Information and Public Relations. Archived from the original on 19 November 2009. Retrieved 21 January 2017.