Open management education
Open management education refers to business and management programs and courses making use of open educational resources and open content. The main idea is to develop competences by re-use, combination and adaption of freely accessible, existing resources.
Goals and purpose
Programs and trainings in business and management are often not affordable, especially for SMEs or for people in less developed countries. Therefore, open management education seems like a promising alternative for many stakeholders.
It is still an ongoing discussion which business models could be applied, such as sharing or add-on models. However, the domain is still developing and no business model has become mainstream. A good discussion can be found by Downes (2007).
Another challenge is to find simple tools to adapt (the sometimes complex) resources.
Access to open management education
There are many repositories, databases and web access points, some of them listed here:
- OpenScout providing access to global resources in the business and management sector. It is possible to search for competences to be achieved and to get help with tools for adaptation (e.g. internationalizing materials, adapting the design, contextualizing), see also the Wikipedia entry for Openscout
- The Khan Academy provides a variety of business courses.
- MIT OpenCourseWare access to courses from MIT, some of them related to management
- MERLOT Repository (Category Business)
- Globe Info (Federation of Repositories): (no browsing, just use keywords such as management or better more specific) Search page
- Kalz, M., Specht, M., Nadolski, R., Bastiaens, Y., Leirs, N., and Pawlowski, J.M. (2010) OpenScout: Competence based management education with community-improved open educational resources, 17th EDINEBConference: Crossing borders in Education and Work-based Learning, London, UK, June 2010, 
- Downes, S. (2007): Models for Sustainable Open Educational Resources in Interdisciplinary Journal of Knowledge and Learning Objects 3 29-44 February 27, 2007. 
- Mikroyannidis, Alexander; Okada, Alexandra and Connolly, Teresa (2011). Sharing practices and experiences on the authoring and adaptation of Open Educational Resources. In: Open Educational Resources 2011, 11–13 May 2011, Manchester, UK.