Openfire Admin Console
4.3.2 / January 31, 2019
4.3.0 beta / November 30, 2018
|License||Apache License 2.0|
The project was originated by Jive Software around 2002, partly in order to support their FastPath web-based customer support tool, as Jive Messenger, and renamed to Wildfire in 2005. Due to a trademark issue, it was further renamed to Openfire in 2007. The project was wholly handed to the community in 2008. Jive continued to host the project until 2016.
Openfire is developed under a community model, as part of the Ignite Realtime project. The project lead is Dave Cridland.
Web-based administration panel
Most administration of the server is done through a web interface, which runs on the ports 9090 (HTTP) and 9091 (HTTPS) by default. Administrators can connect from anywhere and edit the server and configuration settings.
Openfire supports the following features:
- Web-based administration panel
- Plugin interface
- SSL/TLS support
- User-friendly web interface and guided installation
- Database connectivity (i.e. embedded HSQLDB or other DBMS with JDBC 3 driver) for storing messages and user details
- LDAP connectivity
- Platform independent, pure Java
- Full integration with Spark (XMPP client)
- Can support more than 50,000 concurrent users
Openfire has strong support for plugins and customized builds; there are numerous plugins available for immediate download and install via the admin console, and many installations have bespoke plugins.
Openfire allows multiple server instances to work together in one clustered environment. There is an open-source clustering plugin based on open-source Hazelcast technology.
- "Releases - igniterealtime/Openfire". Retrieved 31 January 2019 – via GitHub.
- Matt Tucker (15 September 2009). "Openfire Under Apache 2.0 License". Retrieved 12 March 2013.
- Some bad news on Naming, Matt Tucker, Ignite Realtime Blogs
- Openfire Enterprise is becoming Open Source, Matt Tucker, Ignite Realtime Blog
- Jive Software will stop sponsoring IgniteRealtime hosting, Guus der Kinderen, Ignite Realtime Discussion Forum
- Guus der Kinderen (2 March 2011). "Openfire 3.7.0 has been released!". Retrieved 12 March 2013.
- Jive Software (14 March 2007). "Openfire Scalability" (PDF). Retrieved 25 November 2014.