Oregon Culinary Institute
The topic of this article may not meet Wikipedia's general notability guideline. (January 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Oregon Culinary Institute (OCI) is a privately owned, for-profit, accredited trade school located in Portland, Oregon, United States. Part of the Pioneer Pacific College system, it offers programs in culinary arts, baking and pastry, and restaurant management, with a curriculum to prepare graduates for the food-service industry. OCI's campus is located in the Goose Hollow neighborhood of southwest Portland, and includes a restaurant staffed by students. Their slogan is "Training Kitchen People"
In 2006, Eric Stromquist and Brian Wilke started Oregon Culinary Institute.
In 2018, lead chef Dan Brophy shot and murdered on the premises.
Facilities and programs
OCI's programs are taught in a 10,000 square foot (930 m2) campus that includes lecture classrooms and three computer labs.
OCI also offers wine classes from sommelier Maxine Borcherding.
As an extension of the culinary arts, baking and pastry, and restaurant management classrooms, OCI has an open-to-the-public restaurant able to accommodate up to 50 guests. Students prepare and serve all lunches and dinners. The restaurant is open Monday through Friday, offering a three-course lunch and a four-course dinner.
Oregon Culinary Institute is fully accredited by the Accrediting Council for Independent Colleges and Schools. This includes recognition from the U.S. Department of Education and the Oregon Office of Degree Authorization.
- "Restaurant". Oregon Culinary Institute. Retrieved December 17, 2013.
- McKeever, Amy (July 26, 2013). "Vitaly Paley on Affordable Culinary Schools". Eater. Retrieved January 20, 2014.
- Pokorny, Kim (April 22, 2013). "Edible Garden tips for Spring from Chef Dan Brophy of Oregon Culinary Institute". The Oregonian. Retrieved January 20, 2014.
- Hoffman, Maggie (January 30, 2014). "Ask a Sommelier: The Best Wine for Roast Chicken". Serious Eats. Retrieved January 31, 2014.
- Levine, Sara (February 13, 2014). "How to make a perfect chocolate soufflé". Food Network. Retrieved February 14, 2014.
- Manzano, Alexandra (July 21, 2010). "Cheap Eats: Oregon Culinary Institute". The Oregonian. Retrieved December 16, 2013.