|District of Jharkhand|
Location of Palamu district in Jharkhand
|• Lok Sabha constituencies||1. Palamu, 2. Chatra (shared with Chatra district)|
|• Assembly seats||5|
|• Total||5,044 km2 (1,947 sq mi)|
|Major highways||NH 75, NH 98|
The district lies between 23°50′ and 24°8′ north latitude and between 83°55′ and 84°30′ east longitude. It is bordered on the north by Sone River & Bihar and on the east by the Chatra and Hazaribagh districts, on the south by Latehar District and on the west by Garhwa District.
National protected area
Palamu district consists of 21 Blocks. The following are the list of the Blocks in Palamu district:
- Bishrampur block
- Chainpur block
- Chatarpur block
- Medininagar block
- Haidernagar block
- Hariharganj block
- Hussainabad block
- Lesliganj block
- Manatu block
- Mohammadganj block
- Naudiha Bazar block
- Nawa Bazar block
- Padwa block
- Pandu block
- Panki block
- Patan block
- Pipra block
- Satbarwa block
- Tarhasi block
- Untari Road block
In 2006 the Ministry of Panchayati Raj named Palamu one of the country's 250 most backward districts (out of a total of 640). It is one of the 24 districts in Jharkhand currently receiving funds from the Backward Regions Grant Fund Programme (BRGF).
According to the 2011 census Palamu district has a population of 24,36,319, roughly equal to the nation of Lesotho or the US state of West Virginia. This gives it a ranking of 243rd in India (out of a total of 640). The district has a population density of 381 inhabitants per square kilometre (990/sq mi) . Its population growth rate over the decade 2001-2011 was 25.94%. Palamu has a sex ratio of 929 females for every 1000 males, and a literacy rate of 65.5%.
The only university in Medininagar (Daltonganj) is Nilamber-Pitamber University, created on the 17th of January, 2009. The Chief Minister of Jharkhand declared that the Nilamber-Pitamber University would be set up in Medininagar (Daltonganj) in 2001. There are 66 primary schools, 30 middle schools, 17 Navsirijit schools, 10 high schools and 1 Engineering College in the Daltonganj block.
- Ministry of Panchayati Raj (September 8, 2009). "A Note on the Backward Regions Grant Fund Programme" (PDF). National Institute of Rural Development. Retrieved September 27, 2011.
- "District Census 2011". Census2011.co.in. 2011. Retrieved 2011-09-30.[not in citation given]
- US Directorate of Intelligence. "Country Comparison:Population". Retrieved 2011-10-01.
- "2010 Resident Population Data". U. S. Census Bureau. Retrieved 2011-09-30.
West Virginia 1,852,994
- "Nilamber-Pitamber University". Retrieved December 27, 2012.
- "Chapter IX: Social Services". Jharkhand Draft Annual Plan 2001 - 2002. Retrieved 2007-07-10. Archived March 12, 2005, at the Wayback Machine.
- "Palamu District: Education Profile". Retrieved 2007-07-10.
- Official district government website
- Daltongnaj Website Contain lots of information about Palamu
- Jharkhand Tourism
||Rohtas district, Bihar||Aurangabad district, Bihar||Gaya district, Bihar|
|Garhwa district||Chatra district|