Pankaj Oswal is an Indian businessman. He was the chairman and managing director of Burrup Holdings Limited.It is a Perth-based company and one of the world's largest liquid ammonia production companies. Accused of embezzling upwards of $150 million from Burrup Holdings, Oswal at one time had an estimated fortune of nearly A$1 billion, making him one of Australia's richest people.
Pankaj grew up in India and studied at Manipal Institute of Technology. After graduating, he worked for several of his father's enterprises. He is married to Radhika Oswal; the couple has two daughters.
Pankaj and his wife have been accused of embezzling upwards of $150 million from Burrup Holdings to fund a lifestyle of private jets, yachts, luxury cars, and building a 'Taj Mahal' on the Swan River in Perth. They also are accused of paying two financial advisers to keep quiet regarding the alleged embezzled funds. Several lawsuits are currently pending. The Oswals fled Australia when they were discovered.
In August 2016, Pankaj and Radhika Oswal settled their lawsuit against the bank over their Burrup Fertiliser business. ANZ paid undisclosed amount to Mr and Mrs Oswal for taking over Burrup Fertiliser Business without giving due consideration.
- "About Burrup Holdings Ltd". Ibisworld.com.au. 31 March 2009. Retrieved 4 January 2012.
- Sarah-Jane Tasker (June 7, 2008). "Oswal family failures outweighs fertiliser success". The Australian. Archived from the original on September 12, 2012. Retrieved 4 January 2012.
- Business Information Agency. ASIA Major Manufacturers. Business Information Agency. p. 220 item 4003. ISBN 978-1-4187-8517-8. Retrieved 4 January 2012.
- Victoria Laurie (7 June 2008). "Meet the Oswals". The Australian. Retrieved 4 January 2012.
- Danckert, Sarah (2016-08-18). "Oswals, ANZ agree to in principle settlement". Retrieved 2016-08-19.