This article needs additional citations for verification. (December 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Patricia Bizzell, Ph.D. is Professor of English and former Chairperson of the English Department at College of the Holy Cross, United States, where she has taught since 1978. She founded and directed the Writer's Workshop, a peer tutoring facility, and a writing-across-the-curriculum program. She has directed the College Honors and English Honors programs. She teaches first-year composition, rhetoric and public speaking, nineteenth-century American literature and women's literature.
A scholar and author, Bizzell has authored or co-authored half a dozen books, written dozens of articles and book chapters, written more than a dozen book reviews and review essays, and presented a large number of papers at academic conferences.
Bizzell is the subject of a profile chapter in Women's Ways of Making It in Rhetoric and Composition, eds. Michelle Ballif, Diane Davis, and Roxanne Mountford (Mahwah, New Jersey: Lawrence Erlbaum, 2008). Her research interests include the question of how the increasing diversification of academic discourses affects the teaching of writing to college students.
- Chair, Department of English, College of the Holy Cross, 2001-2005
- Professor of English, Holy Cross, 1988–present: composition, rhetoric, American Literature
- Director, English Honors Program, 1999-2000
- Director, College Honors Program, 1994-1998
- Director, Writing Programs, 1981-1994 (Writer's Workshop and Writing-across-the-Curriculum Program)
- Associate Professor, Holy Cross, 1981-1988
- Assistant Professor, Holy Cross, 1978–81
- Assistant Professor, Rutgers University, 1975–78, and Director, Remedial Writing Program, 1975–77, and Teacher Training Program, 1977–78
Professional affiliations and activities
- President, Rhetoric Society of America, 2004-2006
- Program Chair, RSA 2004 biennial national conference
- President, Board of Directors, Alliance of Rhetoric Societies, 2006 (ARS)
- Ph.D. in English Literature, Rutgers University, 1975.
- B.A. summa cum laude, Wellesley College, 1970.
- Enrolled in the M.J.L.S. (Masters, Jewish Liberal Studies) program at Hebrew College
Prizes and external grants received
- Winner, National Council of Teachers of English Outstanding Book Award, 1992, for The Rhetorical Tradition: Readings from Classical Times to the Present (co-authored with Bruce Herzberg).
- Winner, National Council of Writing Program Administrators Best Book Award, 2000, for Coming of Age: The Advanced Writing Curriculum, eds. Linda Shamoon, Sandra Jamieson, Rebecca Howard, and Robert Schwegler, which included Bizzell's essay "Writing as a Means of Social Change".
- Bizzell, Patricia (1992). Academic Discourse and Critical Consciousness. Pittsburgh: University of Pittsburgh Press. p. 295. ISBN 0-8229-5485-0.
- Bizzell, Patricia; Herzberg, Bruce (1995). Negotiating Difference: Readings in Multicultural American Rhetoric. Boston: Bedford Books of St. Martin's Press. p. 963. ISBN 0-312-06846-8. (Alternate title: Negotiating Difference: Cultural Case Studies for Composition)
- Bizzell, Patricia; Herzberg, Bruce (2001). Rhetorical Tradition: Readings from Classical Times to the Present, The (2nd ed.; 1st ed. 1990 ed.). Boston: Bedford Books of St. Martin's Press. p. 1673. ISBN 0-312-14839-9.
- Bizzell, Patricia; Schroeder, Christopher; Fox, Helen, eds. (2002). ALT DIS: Alternative Discourses and the Academy. Portsmouth, New Hampshire: Heinemann-Boynton/Cook. p. 224. ISBN 0-86709-516-4.
- Bizzell, Patricia; Herzberg, Bruce; Reynolds, Nedra (2003). The Bedford Bibliography for Teachers of Writing (6th ed.). Boston: Bedford Books of St. Martin's Press. p. 275. ISBN 0-312-40501-4.
- Bizzell, Patricia, ed. (2005). Rhetorical Agendas: Political, Ethical, Spiritual [Proceedings of the 2004 Rhetoric Society of America Conference]. Mahwah, New Jersey: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates. p. 400. ISBN 0-8058-5311-1.
- Bizzell, Patricia; Herzberg, Bruce; Hacker, Diana (2005). Negotiating Difference & Pocket Style Manual 4e (Package ed.). Boston: Bedford Books of St. Martin's Press. ISBN 0-312-45814-2.
- Bizzell, Patricia; Herzberg, Bruce; Barnet, Sylvan; Badau, Hugo (2006). Rhetorical Tradition 2e & From Critical Thinking to Argument (Package ed.). Boston: Bedford Books of St. Martin's Press. ISBN 0-312-46336-7.