Patrick A. Lee
|This biographical article relies too much on references to primary sources. (April 2008) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Patrick A. Lee|
August 9, 1946 |
|Alma mater||Massachusetts Institute of Technology|
|Doctoral advisor||Marlan Scully|
|Known for||Universal Conductance Fluctuations
Quantum spin liquid
|Notable awards||Oliver E. Buckley Condensed Matter Prize (1991)|
After ten years with the Theoretical Physics Department at Bell Laboratories, Professor Lee left and joined the MIT Department of Physics in 1982. He is a true pioneer in "mesoscopic physics," (the study of small devices at low temperatures). He has also made important contributions to the theory of disordered electronic systems. He introduced the concept of universal conductance fluctuations to describe these small devices at low temperatures. Because of this, he was awarded the 2005 Dirac Medal of the International Centre for Theoretical Physics as well as the Oliver Buckley Prize of the American Physical Society. He is currently researching and focusing on high temperature superconductors.
- Dirac Medal, 2005 (International Centre for Theoretical Physics)
- Oliver E. Buckley Condensed Matter Prize, 1991
- Oliver Buckley Prize, 1990 (American Physical Society)
- P.A. Lee, Jan Zaanen and others: "Towards a complete theory of high Tc," Nature Physics 2, 138 - 143 (2006).
- P.A. Lee and X.-G. Wen, "Vortex Structure in Underdoped Cuprates," Phys. Rev. B 63, 224517-1 (2001).
- D.A. Ivanov and P.A. Lee, "Staggered-spin Contribution to Nuclear Spin-lattice Relaxation in Two-leg Antiferromagnetic Ladders," Phys. Rev. B 59, 4803 (1999).
- Don H. Kim and P.A. Lee, "Theory of Spin Excitations in Undoped and Underdoped Cuprates," Annals of Physics 272, 130 (1999).
- P.A. Lee, N. Nagaosa, T.K. Ng, and X.G. Wen, "An SU(2) Formulation of the t-J Model: Application to Underdoped Cuprates," Phys. Rev. B 57, 6003 (1998).
- X.G. Wen and P.A. Lee, "Theory of Underdoped Cuprates," Phys. Rev. Lett. 76, 503 (1996).
- P.A. Lee, "Localized States in a d-Wave Superconductor," Phys. Rev. Lett. 71, 1887 (1993).
- B. I. Halperin, P.A. Lee and N. Read, "Theory of the Half-filled Landau Level," Phys. Rev. B 47, 7312 (1993).
- P.A. Lee and N. Nagaosa, "Gauge Theory of the Normal State of High Tc Superconductors," Phys. Rev. B 46, 5621 (1992).
- T.K. Ng and P.A. Lee, "On Site Coulomb Repulsion and Resonant Tunnelling," Phys. Rev. Lett. 61, 1768 (1988).
- P.A. Lee and A.D. Stone, "Universal Conductance Fluctuations in Metals," Phys. Rev. Lett. 55, 1622 (1985).
- P.A. Lee and T.V. Ramakrishnan, "Disordered Electronic Systems," Rev. Mod. Phys. 57, 287 (1985).
|This article about a physicist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|