Patrick Kelly (Clare hurler)
|Irish name||Pádraig Ó Ceallaigh|
30 September 1986|
Ennis, County Clare
|Height||1.8 m (5 ft 11 in)|
|*Inter County team apps and scores correct as of 25 August 2013.|
Born in Inagh, County Clare, Kelly first played competitive hurling whilst at school in St. Flannan's College. Although he never played in the minor or under-21 grades at inter-county level, he made his senior debut in the 2012 National Hurling League and was included on the starting fifteen for the subsequent championship. Since then Kelly has remained as Clare's first-choice goalkeeper.
At club level Kelly plays with Inagh-Kilnamona.
Kelly first enjoyed major success playing with the St. Flannan's College team.
In 2005 he was in goal as St. Flannan's faced Thurles CBS in the provincial decider, and made a great save to deny Brian Moran and an almost certain Thurles comeback. A 1-11 to 1-6 victory gave Kelly a Harty Cup medal. The subsequent All-Ireland decider saw St. Flannan's face St. Kieran's College. Kelly was singled out for particular praise in the 2-15 to 2-12 victory, giving him an All-Ireland medal.
Kelly plays his club hurling with Inagh-Kilnamona.
In 2007 he won a championship medal in the under-21 grade.
Kelly made his senior debut for Clare during the 2012 National Hurling League campaign. It was a successful debut season as Clare faced Limerick in the final of the Division 1B final. After ten minutes of the second half, Clare trailed by eight points, however, Clare staged a remarkable revival to beat Limerick by 0-21 to 1-16 at the Gaelic Grounds. Kelly made his championship debut in a 2-17 t 1-18 Munster semi-final defeat by Waterford in 2012.
In 2013 Kelly was sub goalkeeper to Anthony Nash on the Munster inter-provincial team. It was a successful campaign, as he claimed his first winners' medal following a 1-22 to 0-15 defeat of Connacht.
- St. Flannan's College
- All-Ireland Colleges' Senior Hurling Championship (1): 2005
- Munster Colleges' Senior Hurling Championship (1): 2005
- Clare Under-21 Hurling Championship (1): 2007
- All-Ireland Senior Hurling Championship (1): 2013
- National Hurling League (Division 1B) (1): 2012
- Waterford Crystal Cup (1): 2013
- Railway Cup (1): 2012 (sub)
- Larkin, Brendan (14 March 2005). "Flannan's power to Harty history". Irish Examiner. Retrieved 30 August 2013.
- Foley, Clíona (3 May 2005). "O'Connor's new kids on block lift gloom as Flannan's deliver". Irish Examiner. Retrieved 30 August 2013.
- "Banner comeback floors Treaty". Hogan Stand website. 7 April 2012. Retrieved 30 August 2013.
- Hogan, Vincent (18 June 2012). "Deise lower Fitzy's Banner". Irish Independent. Retrieved 21 June 2012.
- "Fitzgerald 'not fooled' as Banner power past Tipp". Irish Independent. 11 February 2013. Retrieved 21 June 2012.
- "Munster beat Connacht to claim Interpro crown". Irish Independent. 5 March 2013. Retrieved 6 May 2013.