Patrick MacLeamy, FAIA, LEED AP, (born October 2, 1942, in Alton, Illinois) is an American architect who is chairman of buildingSMART International. Previously, he served as Chairman and CEO of HOK, a global architecture, engineering and planning firm. MacLeamy is the author of the book Designing a World-Class Architecture Firm: The People, Stories and Strategies Behind HOK, published by Wiley in April 2020. The book tells the history of HOK, one of the largest design firms in the world, and draws lessons from it intended to help other architects and creative services professionals improve their own practices.
MacLeamy has served as an industry advocate for the need to leverage new technologies and collaboration tools to improve the practice of architecture. As a founder and chairman of buildingSMART International (formerly the International Alliance for Interoperability), MacLeamy has advanced the global implementation of building information modeling (BIM) to improve the quality and efficiency of the architectural design process. He also supports the establishment of nonproprietary and interoperable standards for the exchange of data in the design and construction industry.
MacLeamy established a concept, commonly referenced in the design and construction industry as the MacLeamy Curve, to illustrate the escalating cost of design modifications as a project team progresses in the design process. His time-effort distribution curves "are among the most oft-cited sources for researchers interested in mainstreaming building information modeling (BIM) implementation in the architecture, engineering and construction (AEC) industry."
MacLeamy began practicing at HOK in the firm’s St. Louis office in 1967. He relocated to San Francisco in 1970 to help establish the firm’s first regional office. He was named managing principal of that office in 1983 and became HOK's chief operating officer in 2000. In 2003, MacLeamy was appointed CEO and in 2012 he also was named chairman. In April 2016, as part of a planned succession, he stepped down as CEO but remained as HOK’s chairman.
During his career, MacLeamy has served leadership roles on several prominent architectural projects, including the Moscone Center in San Francisco and the King Khalid International Airport in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia.
In 2019, MacLeamy was elected a fellow in the National Academy of Construction. He is the past chairman and a current member of the Construction Industry Round Table, a national business trade association. He served on the American Institute of Architects (AIA) Large Firm Roundtable, composed of CEOs from large architectural and engineering firms working to advance the interests of practices working nationally and internationally.
MacLeamy was the keynote speaker at the Nordic BIM Academy’s buildingSMART conference in Copenhagen, Denmark, in November 2016. Nordic BIM Academy is Scandinavia’s largest conference devoted to OpenBIM. MacLeamy described his vision of BIM and collaboration in the AEC (architecture/engineering/construction) industry.
MacLeamy claims to have developed the concepts of the "MacLeamy Curve" in 2004 However the basis of these ideas and similar curves first appeared in an article written by Professor Boyd Paulson in 1976. some 28 years prior to Patrick MacLeamy's development of the "MacLeamy Curve".
MacLeamy and his wife, architect Jeanne MacLeamy, FAIA, live in Novato, California. American television journalist, author and speaker Elisabeth Leamy is their daughter. Their son, Patrick D. MacLeamy, is a licensed psychologist.
- Integrated project delivery - the x-axis of MacLeamy Curve
- "Board of Directors". buildingSMART International. Retrieved 2020-05-05.
- "HOK Chairman Patrick MacLeamy Retires After 50 Years With Firm". buildingSMART International. 2017-06-08. Retrieved 2020-05-05.
- Laudicano, Amy (April 1, 2020). [(https://newsroom.wiley.com/press-release/art-architecture-design/designing-world-class-architecture-firm-people-stories-and-str "Wiley Newsroom"] Check
|url=value (help). Newsroom.Wiley.com. Retrieved May 5, 2020.
- "ENR 2018 Top 500 Design Firms". www.enr.com. Retrieved 2020-05-05.
- "Designing a World-Class Architecture Firm: The People, Stories, and Strategies Behind HOK | Wiley". Wiley.com. Retrieved 2020-05-05.
- "Smart Market Report: The Business Value of BIM in North America" (PDF). McGraw-Hill. Retrieved 26 October 2016.
- Mordue, Stefan; Swaddle, Paul; Philip, David (December 2015). Building Information Modeling for Dummies. Wiley. pp. 95, 259. ISBN 978-1-119-06005-5.
- "The Only Game in Town: Chairman Sets Out His Vision" (PDF). buildingSMART International. Retrieved 26 October 2016.
- Pearson, Andy. "Special Report: Bringing in BIM". Building.co.uk. Retrieved 27 October 2016.
- "Executive guide to BIM: Part 2". AEC Magazine. Retrieved 26 October 2016.
- Miller, Rex; Strombom, Dean; Black, Bill; Iammarino, Mark (2009). The Commercial Real Estate Revolution. Wiley. pp. 127–128. ISBN 978-0470-45746-7. Retrieved 26 October 2016.
- "The MacLeamy Curve - Real World BIM and IPD". IDEAbuilder. Retrieved 26 October 2016.
- Lu, Weisheng; Fung, Ada; Peng, Yi; Liang, Cong; Rowlinson, Steve. "Demystifying Construction Project Time–Effort Distribution Curves: BIM and Non-BIM Comparison". American Society of Civil Engineers. Retrieved 26 October 2016.
- "Interoperability in the Construction Industry" (PDF). American Institute of Architects. McGraw-Hill Construction. Retrieved 26 October 2016.
- "Executive Profile: Patrick MacLeamy, FAIA, LEED AP". Bloomberg Business. Retrieved 26 October 2016.
- "People/Firms". Building Design + Construction. Retrieved 27 October 2016.
- Brennan, Vince. "HOK Names New CEO in Succession Plan". St. Louis Business Journal. Retrieved 27 October 2016.
- "Development and Financing". Moscone Center website. Retrieved 26 October 2016.
- "King Khaled International Airport, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia". airport-technology.com. Retrieved 26 October 2016.
- "Mark Perniconi, Carlos Hernandez Elected to National Academy of Construction". Lyles School of Civil Engineering - Purdue University. Retrieved 2020-05-05.
- "HOK's Patrick MacLeamy Elected Chairman of the Construction Industry Round Table" (PDF). Construction Industry Round Table website. Retrieved 26 October 2016.
- "People on the Move". Engineering News-Record. Retrieved 27 October 2016.
- "NBIMA 01 Patrick MacLeamy". YouTube. Retrieved 15 November 2016.
- MacLeamy, Patrick. "The future of the building industry - the effort curve". YouTube. HOK Network.
- Paulson, Boyd C (December 1976). "Designing to reduce Construction Costs" (PDF). Journal of the Construction Division. 102 (C04): 587.
- "Editorial: MacLeamy, Lucan, Butler in Novato". Marin Independent Journal. Retrieved 26 October 2016.