Paul Girvan (judge)
He was created Knight Bachelor on his appointment to as a Justice of the High Court of Northern Ireland, 1995. Sworn of Her Majesty's Most Honourable Privy Council on 25 January 2007 on his appointment as a Lord Justice of Appeal of the Court of Judicature of Northern Ireland.
In July 2006 he delivered a judgment in Downes (Re), Application for Judicial Review, criticising the appointment of Mrs Bertha McDougall as Interim Victims Commissioner. The judgment was criticised by the former Secretary for State for Northern Ireland, Peter Hain, in his memoir Outside In. In March 2012 the Attorney-General of Northern Ireland began proceedings against Hain and the publishers alleging contempt of court, alleging contempt of court, although these were subsequently dropped.
He retired in 2015.
- Called to the Bar: NI, 1971
- Junior Crown Counsel, NI, 1979-1982
- Queen's Counsel (NI), 1982
- Chancellor, Diocese of Armagh (Church of Ireland), 1999–present
- Chairman: Council of Law Reporting for NI, 1994-2001
- Law Reform Advisory Committee for NI, 1997 -2004 (Member since 1994)
- Hon. Bencher, Gray's Inn, 1999.
- Privy Council Appointment of Sir Frederick Garvin Archived 11 August 2007 at the Wayback Machine.
-  NIQB 77; http://www.bailii.org/nie/cases/NIHC/QB/2006/77.html