Paul C. Kocher
|Born||June 11, 1973|
|Alma mater||Stanford University|
|Known for||SSL v3.0, differential power analysis, timing attacks, Spectre, brute force hardware, tamper-resistant hardware design|
Marconi Prize (2019)
|Institutions||Cryptography Research, Inc.|
Education and early life
Career and research
Kocher was awarded the 2019 Marconi Prize with Taher Elgamal for architecting the Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) 3.0/Transport Layer Security (TLS) 1.0 protocol, a cryptographic protocol for secure communications on the Internet.
He pioneered the field of side-channel attacks, including the development of timing attacks that can break implementations of RSA, DSA and fixed-exponent Diffie–Hellman that operate in non-constant time, as well as the co-development of power analysis and differential power analysis. His side-channel attack countermeasure designs are widely deployed in secure integrated circuits and other cryptographic devices. He has also worked on microprocessor security, and co-discovered and named the Spectre vulnerability, which leverages speculative execution and other microprocessor performance optimizations to extract confidential information.
Honors and awards
In 2018, Kocher was named a Fellow of the International Association for Cryptologic Research for "fundamental contributions to the study of side-channel attacks and countermeasures, cryptography in practice, and for service to the IACR."
- Kocher, Paul C (1996). "Timing attacks on implementations of Diffie-Hellman, RSA, DSS, and other systems". Annual International Cryptology Conference.
- Kocher, Paul C; Jaffe, Joshua; Jun, Benjamin (1999). "Differential Power Analysis". Annual International Cryptology Conference.
- "The Sheriff of Cyber City". 2011. Retrieved May 13, 2019.
- "Forum on Cyber Resilience". Retrieved May 13, 2019.
- "Paul Kocher, IACR Fellow, 2018". 2018. Retrieved May 13, 2019.
- "Cryptographers Paul Kocher and Taher Elgamal Awarded The 2019 Marconi Prize".
- Official website
- Kocher's page on Rambus, Inc.'s site
- Slashdot interview with Kocher
- C-net interview with Kocher at Archive.today (archived 2013-01-19)
- National Academies announcement
- video interview with Kocher
|This article about a cryptographer is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|