This article includes a list of references, but its sources remain unclear because it has insufficient inline citations. (March 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
12 November 1921|
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
|Died||19 December 1991
London, England, United Kingdom
(m. ?–1991; his death)
Paul Maxwell (12 November 1921 – 19 December 1991) was a Canadian actor who worked mostly in British cinema and television, in which he was usually cast as American characters. In terms of audience, his most notable role was probably that of Steve Tanner, the ex-GI husband of Elsie Tanner in the soap opera Coronation Street from 1967 until 1968.
Life and career
Maxwell started as an actor in the U.S., appearing in series such as Dragnet and Alfred Hitchcock Presents before emigrating to Britain in 1960. In the next decade, Maxwell appeared in many TV series produced by ITC Entertainment, such as Danger Man and The Baron. He also voiced North American characters in series filmed by Gerry Anderson's production company Century 21, most prominently the leading character of Colonel Steve Zodiac in Fireball XL5 (1962) and the supporting character of Captain Grey in Captain Scarlet and the Mysterons (1967). Maxwell also made several appearances in UFO (1970).
Maxwell also starred as the "Man with the Panama Hat" in the film Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade (1989), as a C.I.A chief in The Pink Panther Strikes Again (1976), and as General Maxwell Taylor in A Bridge Too Far (1977). His real passion, however, was theatre; he starred in the West End several times, with roles in Twelve Angry Men and the musical Promises, Promises.
- Death in Snall Doctor (1957) as Doctor (uncredited)
- Blood of Dracula (1957) as Mike,the young doctor
- The True Story of Lynn Stuart as Customer (uncredited)
- How to Make Monster (1958) as Jeffrey Clayton
- Submarine Seahawk (1958) as Lt. Cmdr. Bill Hallohan, XO
- Never So Few (1959) as Co-Pilot (uncredited)
- Bells Are Ringing (1960) as Party Guest (uncredited)
- Freedom to Die (1961) as Craig Owen
- We Joined the Navy (1962) as Cmdr. Spelling, USN
- Follow the Boys (1963) as C.M.A.A
- Shadow of Fear (1963) as Bill Martin
- The Haunting (1963) as Bud Fredericks (uncredited)
- Man in the Middle (1964) as Maj. Fred Smith
- Up from the Beach (1965) as Cpl. Evans
- City of Fear (1965) as Mike Foster
- La cieca di Sorrento (1966)
- Thunderbirds Are GO (1966) as Captain Paul Travers
- The 25th Hour (1967) as Photographer
- It! (1967) as Jim Perkins
- The Man Outside (1967) as Judson Murphy
- Captain Scarlet and the Mysterons (1967–68) - Captain Grey
- The Looking Glass War (1969) as CIA Man
- Madame Sin (1972) as Connors
- Ooh... You Are Awful (1972) as 1st US Tourist (voice only)
- Baxter! (1973) as Mr. Baxter
- Percy's Progress (1974) as UN Delegate (uncredited)
- The Pink Panther Strikes Again (1976) as C.I.A. Director
- Spy Story (1976) as Submarine Captain
- A Bridge Too Far (1977) as Major General Maxwell Taylor
- Cry Wolf (1980) as Dr. Jack Russell
- Sahara (1983) as Chase
- Rustlers' Rhapsody (1985) as Sheepherder No.1
- Aliens (1986) as Van Leuwen
- Strong Medicine (1986) as Mace
- Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade (1989) as Panama Hat (final film role)
- "Paul Maxwell". BFI.
- "Paul Maxwell". corrie.net.
- "Paul Maxwell (1921 - 1991) - Find A Grave Memorial". findagrave.com.
- "Randall and Hopkirk (Declassified) - Programmes". randallandhopkirk.org.uk.
- "Indiana-Jones-and-the-Last-Crusade - Cast, Crew, Director and Awards - NYTimes.com". nytimes.com.
- "Paul Maxwell". aveleyman.com.
- "A Bridge Too Far". BFI.
- "Paul Maxwell". TVGuide.com.