Paul McCracken (economist)
|8th Chair of the Council of Economic Advisers|
February 4, 1969 – December 31, 1971
|Preceded by||Art Okun|
|Succeeded by||Herbert Stein|
Paul Winston McCracken
December 29, 1915
Richland, Iowa, U.S.
|Died||August 3, 2012 (aged 96)|
Ann Arbor, Michigan, U.S.
|Spouse(s)||Emily Siler (1942–2005)|
|Education||William Penn University (BA)|
Harvard University (MA, PhD)
He held an M.A. and Ph.D. from Harvard University in Economics and a B.A. from William Penn University. He was the Edmund Ezra Day Distinguished University Professor Emeritus of Business Administration, Economics, and Public Policy at the University of Michigan. McCracken was chairman of the President's Council of Economic Advisors from 1969 to 1971 under President Richard Nixon. He took the lead in developing economic policy at the outset of the Nixon administration.
In 1976 he was elected as a Fellow of the American Statistical Association. He chaired the American Enterprise Institute's Council of Academic Advisors and served as interim president of the institute in 1986.
He died on August 3, 2012 at age 96.
- "Paul W. McCracken". Nixon Library and Museum. Archived from the original on July 21, 2011. Retrieved February 21, 2011. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Chan, S., "Paul W. McCracken, Adviser to Presidents, Dies at 96", The New York Times, AUG. 3, 2012, accessed December 15, 2016, from https://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/04/us/politics/paul-w-mccracken-adviser-to-presidents-dies-at-96.html
- Matusow, Allen J. (1998). Nixon's Economy: Booms, Busts, Dollars, & Votes. Lawrence, Kan.: University Press of Kansas. p. 12. ISBN 0-7006-0888-5. OCLC 37975682.
- View/Search Fellows of the ASA, accessed 2016-08-20.
- "Remembering Paul W. McCracken, 1915-2012, Professor Emeritus and Presidential Adviser". Archived from the original on 2013-10-09. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- McCracken's faculty profile on the University of Michigan website
- Appearances on C-SPAN
- Sidney Lewis Jones (2000). Public & Private Economic Adviser: Paul W. McCracken. University Press of America. ISBN 978-0-7618-1698-0.
| Chair of the Council of Economic Advisers
|Non-profit organization positions|
| President of the American Enterprise Institute