Paul Mooney (college president)
|7th President of National College of Ireland|
January 2007 – February 2010
|Preceded by||Professor Joyce O'Connor|
|Succeeded by||Dr. Phillip Matthews|
|Alma mater||National College of Ireland
University of Dublin
Dr. Paul Mooney was appointed President of National College of Ireland, based in North Wall, Dublin, in February 2007. He holds a Ph. D (Doctorate in Industrial Sociology), a Graduate Diploma (Industrial Relations), and a National Diploma in Industrial Relations and is a Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Personnel and Development.
Mooney began his working life as a butcher in Dublin. After completing a formal apprenticeship, he moved into production management. He subsequently joined General Electric and held a number of increasingly responsible Human Resource positions in manufacturing.
After G.E, Mooney worked with Sterling Drug in the start-up of their highly successful plant in Waterford. Subsequently, as Human Resource Director for the Pacific Rim, he had responsibility for all personnel activity in South East Asia.
On his return to Ireland, Mooney established PMA Consulting (1991), a specialised organisation and management development consultancy.
Mooney is the author of eight books. One, the "Badger Ruse", is a crime thriller set in Dublin, while the others cover a wide range of topics in the HR area. The books include:
- Developing the high performance organisation best practice for managers, ISBN 1-86076-019-8, Published in 1996, Oak Tree Press (Dublin)
- Developing the High Organisation, Publication Date: 1996
- The Effective Consultant, ISBN 978-1-86076-121-8, Publisher: Oak Tree Press (May 27 1999)
- Keeping Your Best Staff : The Human Resources Challenge in a Competitive Environment, ISBN 978-1-86076-154-6, Publication Date: 1999, Abebooks.co.uk
- Turbo-charging the HR Function, ISBN 978-0-85292-896-7, Publication Date: 01 Feb, 2001, Easons
- Union-Free: Creating a Committed and Productive Workforce, Publication Date: 2005, The Liffey Press
- The Badger Ruse, ISBN 978-1-4120-2897-4, Publisher: Trafford Publishing (July 6, 2006), Amazon
- Desperate Executives, ISBN 978-1-905785-39-1, Publication Date: 2008,The Liffey Press