Paul Thompson, 1st Baron Wenlock
Paul Beilby Lawley Thompson, 1st Baron Wenlock (1 July 1784 – 9 May 1852), born Paul Beilby Lawley, was an English nobleman and Whig politician.
Thompson was the youngest son of Sir Robert Lawley, 5th Baronet and Jane Thompson.
In 1820, he inherited the estate of Escrick in Yorkshire from his uncle, Richard Thompson, and changed his name to Paul Beilby Thompson. He entered parliament for Wenlock, in Shropshire in 1828, and retained the seat until 1832. He then stood for the East Riding of Yorkshire, and was member there until 1837. In 1839, he was created Baron Wenlock, of Wenlock in the County of Salop, a title previously held by his eldest brother Robert, who died without issue. Upon ennoblement, he was given a Royal Licence to change his name to Paul Beilby Lawley Thompson, and allow his heirs to carry only the Lawley surname.
- Beilby Richard Lawley, 2nd Baron Wenlock (1818–1880)
- Robert Neville Lawley (30 August 1819 – 1 November 1891), captain in the 2nd Life Guards and later military historian, married Georgina Emily Somerset, daughter of Lord Edward Somerset, and died without issue
- Rev. Stephen Willoughby Lawley (1823 – c. 1901), rector at Escrick 1848–1868 and sub-dean of York 1852–1862.
- Francis Charles Lawley (1825–1901), journalist and politician
- Jane Lawley (1820 - 1900), married James Archibald Stuart-Wortley
- "No. 19730". The London Gazette. 3 May 1839. p. 928.
- "Forbes-Adam (Thompson/Lawley) family, Barons Wenlock, of Escrick and Skipwith". Retrieved 2006-10-06.
- Foster, Joseph (1874). Pedigrees of the County Families of Yorkshire. London.
- "Lawley, Stephen Willoughby". Retrieved 2006-10-06.
- Jane Stuart Wortley, Oxford Dictionary of National Biography, Retrieved 31 January 2016
- Leigh Rayment's Peerage Pages [self-published source][better source needed]
- Leigh Rayment's Historical List of MPs
- Hansard 1803–2005: contributions in Parliament by Paul Thompson
|Parliament of the United Kingdom|
William Lacon Childe
|Member of Parliament for Wenlock
With: John Weld-Forester 1826–1828
George Weld-Forester 1828–1832
James Milnes Gaskell
|New constituency||Member of Parliament for the East Riding of Yorkshire
With: Richard Bethell
The Earl of Carlisle
|Lord Lieutenant of the East Riding of Yorkshire
|Peerage of the United Kingdom|
|New creation||Baron Wenlock
|Baronetage of England|
|This biography of a baron in the peerage of the United Kingdom is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a Member of the Parliament of the United Kingdom (since 1801), for an English constituency is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|