Coat of Arms
|Region of origin||Britain|
|Variant(s)||Penny, Pennie, Penne, Pyne, Pynne|
The name Penney dates from the ancient Anglo-Saxon culture of Britain. It was derived from the Old English "Penig," denoting a coin (cognate with German "Pfennig"). The penny was the only unit of coinage in England until the early 14th century, and as such was a coin of considerable value.
The name was first found in Northampton where they held a family seat from very early times; before the 12th century had become associated with London; later moved north into Scotland and west into Ireland settling mostly in the provinces of Ulster and Munster.
Some of the first settlers of this name or some of its variants were: George Penny who settled in the Barbados in 1635; William Penny settled on Eastern Long Island prior to 1740; Charles Penny settled in Maryland in 1775; P. Penny settled in Boston, Massachusetts in 1769; the family also settled in Pennsylvania in the 18th century. In Newfoundland, Benedict Penny inherited property in Carbonear which dated back to 1699.
Spelling variations include: Penny, Penney, Pennie, Penne, Pyne, Pynne and others.
People named Penny
- Alphonsus Liguori Penney (born 1924) Canadian Archbishop
- David Penney (born 1964), English Football Player/Manager
- Gail Penney (born 1959), New Zealand blog writer
- James Cash Penney (1875–1971), American Businessman, Founder of JC Penney
- Kirk Penney (born 1980), New Zealand basketball player
- Mark Penney (born 1982), Canadian Film Director
- Roger Penney, American singer, songwriter and multi-instrumentalist
- Stef Penney (born 1969), Scottish novelist and filmmaker
- Steve Penney (born 1961), NHL goaltender from Canada; played with the Winnipeg Jets and the 1986 Stanley Cup Champions, the Montreal Canadiens
- Steve Penney (born 1964), Irish Footballer, played in the 1986 World Cup
- Trevor Penney (born 1968), English cricket coach and former player
- William George Penney (1909–1991), British Physicist and one of the participants in The Manhattan Project
|This page lists people with the surname Penney. If an internal link intending to refer to a specific person led you to this page, you may wish to change that link by adding the person's given name(s) to the link.|