Each group has a bucket for collecting the money; typically groups collect coins, but dollar bills may also be accepted. The value of any pennies collected by a group count toward that group's point total, while the value of other coins or dollar bills are subtracted. Hence, in a competition between Group A and Group B, a contributor who wants Group A to win will place pennies into Group A's bucket and nickels, dimes, quarters, or dollar bills into Group B's bucket.
- "Penny Wars Instructions" (PDF). Wildlife Medical Clinic - University of Illinois College of Veterinary Medicine.
- "Middle School 'penny war' raises more than $2,000 for cancer patient". Cass County Star Gazette. 2018-04-18. Retrieved 2018-04-25.
- "How to Conduct a Penny Fundraising Drive". www.pennies.org. Retrieved 2018-04-25.
- 102, Community Contributor LaGrange School District. "Forest Road School Penny War Nets Over $2,100 for Leukemia & Lymphoma Society". chicagotribune.com. Retrieved 2018-04-25.CS1 maint: numeric names: authors list (link)
- "Medomak Valley Honor Society raises funds to help ailing teacher - Knox VillageSoup". Retrieved 2018-04-25.