|Founder||Lyubomir Penev, Sergei Golovatch|
|Country of origin||Bulgaria|
|Publication types||Scientific journals and Books|
|Nonfiction topics||Taxonomy (biology), Biodiversity, Systematics, Entomology, Zoology, Botany, Ecology|
Pensoft Publishers (also known as: Pensoft) are a publisher of scientific literature based in Sofia, Bulgaria. Pensoft was founded in 1994, by two academics: Lyubomir Penev and Sergei Golovatch. It has published nearly 1000 academic and professional books and currently publishes 24 peer-reviewed open access scientific journals including ZooKeys, PhytoKeys, Check List, Comparative Cytogenetics, Journal of Hymenoptera Research, Deutsche Entomologische Zeitschrift, and Zoosystematics and Evolution.
Pensoft is part of the open-access publishing movement. The Creative Commons Attribution License (CC-BY) is used for all journal articles. In 2012, Pensoft established a partnership with Encyclopedia of Life called the EOL Open Access Support Project (EOASP) to financially support independent taxonomists, and taxonomists living in developing countries to publish their results in Pensoft journals.
Pensoft were notably one of the first publishers to facilitate the publication of data papers in collaboration with the Global Biodiversity Information Facility (GBIF). The first data paper they published came out in 2011, published in the journal ZooKeys.
Pensoft also published the first ever eukaryotic species description (Eupolybothrus cavernicolus) to combine transcriptomics, DNA barcoding, and micro-CT imaging data in the same paper, in the Biodiversity Data Journal.
In June 2016, one of Pensoft's journals called Research Ideas and Outcomes (short name: RIO Journal) won a Scholarly Publishing and Academic Resources Coalition (SPARC) Innovator Award for "promoting and expanding transparency in scientific communication".
- "About Pensoft". pensoft.net.
- "Journals - Pensoft". pensoft.net.
- "Encyclopedia of Life". Encyclopedia of Life.
- Chavan, V.; Penev, L. (2011). "The data paper: A mechanism to incentivize data publishing in biodiversity science". BMC Bioinformatics. 12: S2. doi:10.1186/1471-2105-12-S15-S2. PMC . PMID 22373175.
- "New incentive for biodiversity data publishing". EurekAlert!. 1 June 2011.
- Narwade, S.; Kalra, M.; Jagdish, R.; Varier, D.; Satpute, S.; Khan, N.; Talukdar, G.; Mathur, V.; Vasudevan, K.; Pundir, D. S.; Chavan, V.; Sood, R. (2011). "Literature based species occurrence data of birds of northeast India". ZooKeys. 150: 407–417. doi:10.3897/zookeys.150.2002. PMC . PMID 22207820.
- "First database-derived 'data paper' published in journal". EurekAlert!. 28 November 2011.
- Edmunds, S. C.; Hunter, C. I.; Smith, V.; Stoev, P.; Penev, L. (2013). "Biodiversity research in the "big data" era: Giga Science and Pensoft work together to publish the most data-rich species description". GigaScience. 2: 14. doi:10.1186/2047-217X-2-14.
- Stoev, P.; Komerički, A.; Akkari, N.; Liu, S.; Zhou, X.; Weigand, A. M.; Hostens, J.; Hunter, C. I.; Edmunds, S. C.; Porco, D.; Zapparoli, M.; Georgiev, T.; Mietchen, D.; Roberts, D.; Faulwetter, S.; Smith, V.; Penev, L. (2013). "Eupolybothrus cavernicolus Komerički & Stoev sp. N. (Chilopoda: Lithobiomorpha: Lithobiidae): The first eukaryotic species description combining transcriptomic, DNA barcoding and micro-CT imaging data". Biodiversity Data Journal. 1: e1013. doi:10.3897/BDJ.1.e1013.
- "Members". OASPA.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Media from Pensoft.|