Peoples Christian Academy
This article contains content that is written like an advertisement. (March 2012) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Peoples Christian Academy|
245 Renfrew Drive,|
Markham, Ontario, L3R 6G3
|School type||Early Learning Centre, Elementary School, Middle School, High school|
|Motto||School Verse: But those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. - Isaiah 40:31|
|Religious affiliation(s)||Christian non-denominational. Association of Christian Schools International (ACSI).|
|School board||Private school|
|Colour(s)||Navy blue, White, Gold|
|Last updated: November 2014|
Peoples Christian Academy (PCA), founded in 1971 as The Peoples Christian School, is a faith-based, academic day school in Markham serving Markham, Richmond Hill, Stouffville and other parts of Greater Toronto Area. The school offers programs for grades JK to 12 with enrolment of 370 students. Peoples Christian Academy (PCA) has an average class size of 15 to 20 students. Founded in 1971, the school requires students to wear uniforms. The language of instruction is English.
Founded in 1971 as an elementary school, by the then senior pastor of The Peoples Church, Dr. Paul B. Smith, PCA has been providing Christian education to GTA families for over forty years. In 1976 it became an all-grade school with the addition of a high school wing. Following a decision by the church to shutter the school, a group of parents banded together and incorporated the present legal entity of PCA in November 2007.
In 2011, PCA was relocated to 245 Renfrew Drive, in Markham, Ontario. In 2013, with the opening of the Early Learning Centre, the school began serving families of children aged thirty months through to high school graduation.
This 60,000 sq. ft is built on over 5 acres that include green space and the following facilities:
- Computer labs
- Science labs
- Art room
- French/language loom
- Music rooms
Between 2008-2013, on the standardized tests taken by Grades 3, 5, and 7, over 90% of PCA students were above the Canadian norm in all tests. For the Ontario Grade 10 Literacy Tests, 96% were successful. 100% of the graduating class apply to institutions of higher education and all of them attend university.
- Faith: Christian, non-denominational
- Gender: Co-educational
- Grades: JK - Gr. 12
- Pre-school: Early Learning Centre (from 30 months to 4 years old)
- Average class size: 15 - 25
- PCA is a Christian school that is also a registered Canadian charitable organization. An official tax receipt is issued for the portion of tuition fees paid by a family in excess of the secular training cost (calculated as cost per student x number of children enrolled with PCA).
- Member of the Association of Christian Schools International (ACSI)
- Registered with the Ontario Ministry of Education
- Tuition Fee discounts for siblings
- Hot lunch program
- Before school program
- After school program
- Extra-curricular activities: Chess Club, Art Club, Korean, Math Skills, Music Therapy, Piano, Robotics and Aerospace, Cartoon Making, Mandarin, Comic Books, Drama Club, Running Club, Basketball, Volleyball, Badmdinton, Soccer, Orchestra, Robotics Club .
- Local and overseas mission initiatives offered throughout the year.
Based on the information from the 2015 charitable return filed with the Canadian Revenue Agency, the compensation for staff is low. There are 52 full-time staff and 42 part-time staff. With total compensation expenses of around $2.7M, with the 52 full-time staff alone it works out to an average salary of $52.8K - significantly below the public sector and not including any part-time staff which would dilute the number further.