Demarcation of a perimeter, when the protection of assets, personnel or buildings is required, is normally affected by the building of a perimeter fence system. The level of protection offered varies according to the threat level to the perimeter. Different types of perimeter fencing include:
- Timber fencing
- Palisade fencing
- Welded wire mesh fence fencing
- Chain-link fencing
- Rolled mesh fencing
- Metal railings
Vertical bar fencing has been the most popular form of perimeter security fence since the 1980s. Since the 2000s, welded wire mesh and acoustic barriers have also become popular types of perimeter fence around the world. Vertical bar, acoustic barriers and welded mesh are used in commercial projects and landmarks, in schools, and in airports and transport hubs.
In high-security applications, sensors may be attached to the fence that generate alarms when they detect someone cutting, climbing, or lifting the fence fabric.
In the United Kingdom, perimeter fencing is banned at any sporting stadium after the death of 97 people at Hillsborough Stadium.
- "Eiffel Tower perimeter fence built to stop terrorism". Retrieved 2018-06-15.
- "Reducing noise with Acoustic Barriers". 2016-06-30. Archived from the original on 30 July 2021. Retrieved 2018-08-21.
- "SBD NEWS". Retrieved 2017-10-16.
- White House Fence Construction
- Animal Welfare, Perimeter Fence Requirements, Technical Amendment
- Kunststoffzaun als Gartenzaun, Sichtschutzzaun oder Koppelzaun (in German)
- Fences or freestanding walls
- Maison : travaux extérieurs (in French)