Pete Clifton is Editor-in-Chief at the Press Association (PA). He was appointed in January 2015. Prior to the appointment he was Executive Producer for MSN in the UK and former Head of Editorial Development at BBC News.
Clifton was previously the editor of Ceefax, and before joining the BBC was a news and sports reporter at the Chronicle and Echo in Northampton, a sports journalist at the Exchange Telegraph national news agency, chief sports sub at the UK's Press Association (PA) and editor of the PA's Teletext service.
Clifton was involved in the founding of BBC News Online and also helped set up the BBC Sport website in 2000. He went on to become editor of BBC News Online in 2004, succeeding founding editor Mike Smartt, until he was promoted to Head of BBC News Interactive in October 2005 with responsibility for BBC News Online, CBBC Newsround, the Ceefax teletext service, the digital text service, On This Day, BBC's Interactive TV, the Action Network and a variety of news services to mobile phones and other mobile devices. His successor as Editor of BBC News Online was named on 2 December 2005 as Steve Herrmann.
Clifton admitted on the BBC Editor' Blog on 16 August 2007 that he had edited his own Wikipedia entry after viewing an incorrect entry for BBC News Online, but would be leaving the editing of the page to others in future.
In March 2011, the BBC announced Clifton would be made redundant following the closure of the BBC Journalism group within the organisation. The following month it was announced that he would be moving to MSN UK to become executive producer.
In January 2015, he was appointed Editor-in-Chief of the Press Association.
- "Pete Clifton". The Media center at the American Press Institute. Archived from the original on 27 September 2007. Retrieved 16 August 2007.
- Deverell, Richard (25 November 2003). "News Interactive". BBC News. Retrieved 16 August 2007.
- "BBC News Interactive's new editor". Entertainment. BBC News. 2 December 2005. Retrieved 16 August 2007.
- Kiss, Jemima (18 October 2005). "Head of BBC News Interactive announced". Online Journalism News. Mousetrap Media Ltd. Retrieved 16 August 2007.
- Clifton, Pete (16 August 2007). "BBC Blog, The Editors - Wikipedia edits". BBC. Retrieved 16 August 2007.
- Kiss, Jemima (2 March 2011). "BBC News Online's Pete Clifton made redundant". The Guardian. Retrieved 21 November 2011.
- McAthy, Rachel (5 April 2011). "Former BBC editor Pete Clifton to join MSN as executive producer". Journalism.co.uk. Retrieved 21 November 2011.
|This biographical article related to BBC Television is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This biographical article related to television journalism in the United Kingdom is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|