Peter Balazs (mathematician)
11 December 1970 |
Tulln an der Donau, Austria
|Residence||Tulln an der Donau, Austria|
|Fields||Mathematics, Signal processing, Acoustics|
|Institutions||Acoustics Research Institute, CNRS, Université catholique de Louvain|
|Alma mater||University of Vienna|
|Doctoral advisor||Hans Georg Feichtinger|
Peter Balazs studied mathematics and physics at the University of Vienna. In 2001, he graduated with honors in mathematics and an M.Sc. thesis on "Polynomials over Groups" ("Polynome über Gruppen"). He successfully defended his PhD thesis and graduated (with distinction) in June 2005. His PhD thesis is titled, "Regular and Irregular Gabor Multiplier with Application to Psychoacoustic Masking".
Peter Balazs has been part of the Acoustics Research Institute since 1999. His PhD thesis was written at NuHaG (Numerical Harmonic Analysis Group), Faculty of Mathematics, University of Vienna. The cooperation formed during his thesis also resulted in him becoming a fellow of the HASSIP (Harmonic Analysis and Statistics for Signal and Image Processing) EU network. He joined the LATP (Laboratoire d'Analyse, Topologie, Probabilités), CMI and LMA, CNRS Marseille from November 2003 to April 2004 and in March, May and June 2006. He also worked with the FYMA, UCL, Louvain-La-Neuve in August 2005.
For the project FLAME (Frames and Linear Operators for Acoustical Modeling and Parameter Estimation) Peter Balazs 2011 was honored with the high reputed Start-Preis. He is director of the Acoustics Research Institute since 2012.
Peter Balazs has published 27 journal and 25 conference papers, a selection of which is presented below (in chronological order):
- 2006 P. Balazs, H.G. Feichtinger, M. Hampejs, G. Kracher; "Double Preconditioning for Gabor Frames”; IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing, Vol. 54, No.12, pp. 4597-4610 (2006)
- 2007 P. Balazs, "Basic Definition and Properties of Bessel Multipliers", Journal of Mathematical Analysis and Applications, Volume 325, Issue 1, pp. 571-585,
- 2007 P. Majdak, P. Balazs, B.Laback, "Multiple Exponential Sweep Method for Fast Measurement of Head Related Transfer Functions", Journal of the Audio Engineering Society, Vol. 55, No. 7/8, pp. 623 - 637
- 2008 P. Balazs, "Matrix Representation of Operators Using Frames", Sampling Theory in Signal and Image Processing, Vol. 7, No. 1, pp. 39-54
- 2010 P. Balazs, B. Laback, G. Eckel, W. Deutsch, "Time-Frequency Sparsity by Removing Perceptually Irrelevant Components Using a Simple Model of Simultaneous Masking", IEEE Transactions on Audio, Speech and Language Processing, Vol. 18 (1), pp. 34-49
- 2010 D. Marelli, P. Balazs, "On Pole-Zero Model Estimation Methods Minimizing a Logarithmic Criterion for Speech Analysis", IEEE Transactions on Audio, Speech and Language Processing, Volume 18 (2), pp. 237 - 248
- 2011 J. P. Antoine, P. Balazs, "Frames and Semi Frames", Journal of Physics A: Mathematical and Theoretical, vol. 44, 205201
- 2012 D. Stoeva, P. Balazs, "Invertibility of Multipliers", Applied and Computational Harmonic Analysis, Vol. 33 (2), pp. 292-299
- FLAME Projekt auf der Homepage des Institut für Schallforschung
- Homepage der Österreichischen Akademie der Wissenschaften
- Peter Balazs at the Mathematics Genealogy Project
- Author profile in the database zbMATH