|Peter J. Daley, II|
|Member of the Pennsylvania House of Representatives
from the 49th district
|Preceded by||A. J. DeMedico|
Peter J. Daley, II (born August 8, 1950) is a Democratic member of the Pennsylvania House of Representatives, representing the 49th Legislative District since 1983. Daley decided to retire and not seek an 18th term in 2016. His district includes portions of Fayette County and Washington County.
Daley was born in Brownsville, Pennsylvania, and graduated from California Area High School in 1968. He earned a Bachelor of Science degree in social studies from California University of Pennsylvania in 1972, and then taught at California Area High School for seven years. He was a delegate to the 1972 Democratic National Convention and served as chair of the Washington Young Democrats (1972–75).
From 2009-2011, Daley served as the Pennsylvania House of Representatives Commerce Committee Democratic Chairperson. In 2009-10, he also served on the Game & Fisheries Committee and the Intergovernmental Affairs Committee.
In 2015-16 legislative session, Daley introduced a number of nonbinding resolutions including:
- Recognizing the year 2016 as "The Year to Cure Cancer" in Pennsylvania
- Designating the month of April 2016 as "Pennsylvania 8-1-1 Safe Digging month
- Recognizing April 5, 2016, as "National Healthy Schools Day"
- Recognizing the month of March 2016 as "National Social Work Month
- Recognizing the month of February 2016 as "National Cancer Prevention month
- A Resolution observing February 12, 2016, as the 207th anniversary of the birth of Abraham Lincoln, the 16th President of the United States.
- A Resolution recognizing the importance of finding the cause and cure for multiple sclerosis.
- A Resolution designating March 13, 2016, as "K9 Veterans and Services Day".
- A Resolution designating the month of February 2016 as "Career and Technical Education Month" in Pennsylvania.
- A Resolution designating the week of February 21 through 27, 2016, as "FFA Week" in Pennsylvania.
- A Resolution recognizing February 5, 2016, as "National Wear Red Day" in Pennsylvania.
- A Resolution designating the month of January 2016 as "Financial Aid Awareness Month".
- A Resolution recognizing the month of February 2016 as "National Children's Dental Health Month" in Pennsylvania.
- A Resolution designating January 9, 2016, as "Law Enforcement Appreciation Day"
- Commemorating the 100th year of the Pennsylvania Farm Show.
- An Act designating a portion of State Route 51 in the Borough of Coraopolis, Allegheny County, as the Fred A. Trello Memorial Boulevard.
In 2014, Daley ran against Donald Cook (R). Results: Daley - 8,557 votes or 56.43% of votes cast; Cook - 6,608 votes or 43.57% of votes cast.
In 2012, Daley ran against Richard J Massafra (R). Results: Daley - 12,244 votes or 54.49% of votes cast; Massafra - 10,225 votes or 45.51% of votes cast.
Daley announced that he would retire from his position on January 7, 2016.
- "Peter J. Daley (Democrat)". Pennsylvania House of Representatives.
- "Representative Peter J. Daley, III (PA)". Project Vote Smart.
- "Longtime Pennsylvania lawmaker Peter Daley won't seek re-election". Pittsburgh Tribune-Review. January 7, 2016.
- Pennsylvania House of Representatives (2016). "Member Information Peter J. Daley".
- Pennsylvania House of Representatives (2016). "Standing Committees Committee Information Consumer Affairs".
- Ballotpedia (2016). "Pennsylvania House of Representatives Consumers Affairs Committee".
- Ballotpedia (2016). "Peter J. Daley III".
- Pennsylvania Department of State (2014). "Election Returns 2014 General Elections".
- Pennsylvania Department of State (2012). "Election Returns 2012 General Elections".
- Patty Yauger (January 7, 2016). "Daley to retire from public office at end of term". Herald-Standar.
- Pennsylvania House of Representatives - Peter Daley (Democrat) official PA House website
- Pennsylvania House Democratic Caucus - Peter Daley official Party website