Peter Gansevoort (state senator)
|Member of the New York State Senate
from Third District (Class 2)
January 1, 1833 – December 31, 1836
|Preceded by||Lewis Eaton|
|Succeeded by||Noadiah Johnson|
|Member of the New York State
Assembly from Albany County
January 1, 1830 – December 31, 1831
December 22, 1778|
Albany, New York
|Died||January 4, 1876
Albany, New York
|Children||Henry Sanford Gansevoort
Catherine Van Schaick
|Relatives||Leonard Gansevoort (uncle)
Abraham Lansing (son-in-law)
Herman Melville (nephew)
Guert Gansevoort (nephew)
Litchfield Law School
|Alma mater||College of New Jersey|
Peter Gansevoort was the son of Gen. Peter Gansevoort (1749–1812) and Catherine (née Van Schaick) Gansevoort. Leonard Gansevoort (1751–1810) was his uncle; and author Herman Melville (1819–1891) and Commodore Guert Gansevoort (1812–1868) were his nephews.
He attended Williams College from 1804 to 1805, graduated B.A. from the College of New Jersey in 1808. He studied law with Harmanus Bleecker, attended Litchfield Law School from 1808 to 1809, graduated M.A. from the College of New Jersey in 1811, was admitted to the bar in 1811, and practiced in Albany.
From 1843 to 1847, he was First Judge of the Albany County Court.
In 1833, he married Mary Sanford (1814–1841), a daughter of Chancellor Nathan Sandford, and they had four children, two of whom died in infancy:
- Henry Sanford Gansevoort (1835–1871), a Union Army General
- Catherine Gansevoort, who married State Senator Abraham Lansing (a nephew of her stepmother) in 1873
After the death of his wife in 1841, he married Susan Lansing (1804–1874) in December 1843.
- "OBITUARY.; MR. JAMES F. PENNIMAN. PETER GANSEVOORT. OBITUARY NOTE.". The New York Times. January 8, 1876. Retrieved 8 April 2017.
- Friends of the Princeton University Library, he Princeton University Library Chronicle, Volumes 13-14, 1952, page 69
- The New York Civil List compiled by Franklin Benjamin Hough (pages 129ff, 141, 209f, 275 and 358; Weed, Parsons and Co., 1858)
- A Herman Melville Encyclopedia by Robert L. Gale (Greenwood Press, Westport CT, 1995; ISBN 0-313-29011-3; the Gansevoorts, pg. 149 to 159)
- PETER GANSEVOORT, obit in NYT on January 8, 1876
|New York State Senate|
|New York State Senate
Third District (Class 2)