During the course of his career, Knecht represented many Hollywood and music-biz celebrities, including David Crosby, Anna Nicole Smith's former boyfriend Mark "Hollywood" Hatten; Jason Priestly.
Knecht eventually moved to the defense side of the law, primarily through his affiliation with the law practice of Harry Weiss.
Knecht appeared as a television analyst and consultant on criminal justice for major news outlets, including national CBS, NBC, ABC and FOX broadcasts, and locally for KCAL-TV-Channel 9 and KCOP-TV-Channel 13. He also appeared on Celebrity Justice and on CNN. His major cases have been featured on morning talk shows like The Today Show and Good Morning America.
- Noble, Kenneth B. (September 21, 1994). "State Calls Simpson's Ex-Wife Sole Target". New York Times. Retrieved December 15, 2010.
- "Rock Star David Crosby sentenced". The Daily Telegraph. September 22, 1982. Retrieved December 15, 2010.
- "Jason Priestly". Lodi News-Sentinel. July 26, 2001. Retrieved December 15, 2010.
- Toobin, Jeffrey (1997). The run of his life: the people v. O.J. Simpson. Simon & Schuster. pp. 161–163. ISBN 978-0-684-84278-3. Retrieved December 15, 2010.
- "Defense Attorney Peter Knecht, Who Boasted Celeb Clients, Loses Battle With Cancer". Variety. Retrieved October 4, 2014.