4 June 1952
|Residence||Tunbridge Wells, Kent|
|Occupation||Joint Chief Executive of TUI Group
Chairman, Royal Mail
Long was born in Malta, as his father was serving in the Navy. He attended Prices Grammar School in Fareham, Hampshire, following which he went to further education college to qualify as an accountant.
Long began his career as a cost accountant at electronics firm Vernitron. He then worked in finance at engineering firm BTR before moving into the travel industry. He joined Harry Goodman’s International Leisure Group in 1984, becoming Chief Executive of the tourism division. Following this he set up Sunworld in 1991 with Spanish hotelier partners which was eventually sold to the Thomas Cook Group in June 1996.
He was one of the architects of the 2007 consolidation in European tour operating in which First Choice Holidays merged with TUI Tourism (part of TUI AG) in September 2007 to create TUI Travel PLC, one of the largest leisure travel groups in the world. TUI Travel’s businesses range from market-leading sun and beach brands to specialist activity and adventure and online accommodation providers. Post-merger, Long grew TUI Travel’s profits in sometimes challenging market conditions by offering more differentiated and unique holiday products - hotels and activities that cannot be bought through any other operator - to its customers.
TUI Travel merged with TUI AG on 17 December 2014 to form TUI Group, the world's largest tourism company. Long is currently Joint Chief Executive of TUI Group and will become Chairman of the Supervisory Board in February 2016.
Honours and awards
Odyssey Award from the Institute of Travel and Tourism (received twice, 1998 and 2008).
Fellow of the Tourism Society.
- TUI Group 
- Steiner, Rupert. "TUI Travel chief executive Peter Long on how he plans to beat the crunch",Daily Mail, London, 4 September 2008.
- Davidson, Andrew. “The Andrew Davidson interview: Peter Long”, “The Sunday Times”, London, 4 October 2009.
- Walsh, Dominic. “Business big shot: Peter Long”, “The Times, London, 20 March 2007.
- Business Week "Executive Summary: Peter Long”, “BusinessWeek”, 7 February 2013.
- Mychasuk, Emiliya. “Peter Long”, “Financial Times”, 26 March 2008.
- TUI Travel PLC 
- Thomas, Natalie. “Monday Interview: TUI Travel chief Peter Long”,”The Daily Telegraph”, London, 6 January 2013.
- Denton, Jane. "Up, up and away: Thomson owner TUI Travel completes £5.6bn merger with German parent to create world's largest tour operator", "Daily Mail", London, 17 December 2014.
- "Peter Long: Chairman". Royal Mail Group. Retrieved 12 September 2017.
- Davies, Phil. “Tui's Peter Long takes up role as FHA president”, “Travel Weekly, London, 1 October 2013.
- E-tid. "Long picks up award", London, 29 May 2009.
- Eastcastle Publishing. "British Travel Industry Hall of Fame".
- Travel Weekly. Top men head for the hall of fame.
- Institute of Travel & Tourism. "Odyssey Award Winners".