Peter Hugoe Matthews
Peter Hugoe Matthews (born 1934) is a British linguist. He is a fellow of St John's College, Cambridge, and was formerly Professor and Head of the Department of Linguistics at the University of Cambridge (1980–2000).
Matthews is perhaps best known for his writings on linguistic morphology. He has published two monographs on the subject.
- Inflectional Morphology: A theoretical study based on aspects of Latin verb conjugation (1972)
- Morphology: An introduction to the theory of word-structure (1974)
- Generative Grammar and Linguistic Competence (1979)
- Syntax (1981)
- Grammatical Theory in the United States from Bloomfield to Chomsky (1993)
- A Short History of Structural Linguistics (2001)
- The Concise Oxford Dictionary of Linguistics (2005)
- Syntactic Relations: A Critical Survey (2007)
|This biography of a British linguist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|