|Born||5 September 1906|
|Died||7 December 1990 (aged 84)|
Mieg was born in Lenzburg where he spent almost all his life. He studied art history, archaeology, music history as well as French and German Literature in Zurich, Basel and Paris from 1927 to 1933. In the early 1930s Mieg became a journalist writing articles about art, music and literature for newspapers such as the Basler Nachrichten, the Weltwoche and the Badener Tagblatt.
In the 1940s Mieg completed his musical formation with Frank Martin. His first important works were written in the 1950s in a very personal neoclassicism. From that time on he was commissioned by the Tonhalle Orchester Zürich (Symphony, 1958), the Zurich Chamber Orchestra (Concerto per clavicembalo e orchestra da camera, 1953, Concerto Veneziano, 1955, the Concerto for oboe and orchestra, 1957, the Concerto pour piano à quatre mains et orchestre à cordes, 1980), the Lucerne Festival Strings (Triple concerto dans le goût italien, 1978) and many others.
Mieg wrote some 135 compositions, including several concertos (for piano, for violin, for flute, for 2 flutes, for harp, for cello, for piano and cello), a lot of chamber music and piano music (5 piano sonatas).
- Anna Kardos, Tom Hellat: Auf der Suche nach dem eigenen Klang – Der Komponist, Publizist und Maler Peter Mieg, Hier und Jetzt, Baden 2016, ISBN 978-303919-378-3
- Silvia Kind: Peter Mieg, in: Monologue. Washington DC, 2001, p. 226–235.
- Michael Schneider: Der Komponist Peter Mieg: Leben – Werk – Rezeption (The composer Peter Mieg: Life - Work - Reception). Amadeus, Winterthur 1995, ISBN 3-905049-64-3.
- Brigitte Morach-Müller (editor): Peter Mieg als Maler (Peter Mieg as a painter). With articles by Emil Maurer, Peter Mieg, Jean Rudolf von Salis and Edmond de Stoutz. Kromer, Lenzburg, 1984.
- Reni Mertens & Walter Marti: Der Komponist, Maler, Schriftsteller und Journalist Peter Mieg (The composer, painter and journalist Peter Mieg). Film about Peter Mieg, 1980
- Uli Däster, Walter Kläy and Walter Labhart (editors): Peter Mieg. Eine Monographie (Peter Mieg. A Monography). Sauerländer, Aarau and Frankfurt 1976, ISBN 3-7941-1529-5.
|This article about a Swiss composer is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|