Peter Neill is the current Director of the World Ocean Observatory and a graduate of Stanford University. Previously President of the South Street Seaport Museum from 1985-2005, Neill has always maintained an interest in the future of the oceans. In addition to being an author and editor for American Sea Writing: a literary anthology, Neill is also a regular contributor for a blog on the Huffington Post.
Neill has always been a strong proponent of maritime education. During his time at the South Street Seaport Museum, he devoted a third of the museum's budget to the New York City schools, and presently is Chairman of the Board of Directors for the Ocean Classroom Foundation.
- (editor) American Sea Writing: a literary anthology (Library of America, 2000)
- "World Ocean Observatory - Welcome". Thew2o.net. Retrieved 18 January 2015.
- "Siren Songs". Nytimes.com. Retrieved 18 January 2015.
- "Peter Neill". Huffingtonpost.com. Retrieved 18 January 2015.
- Russel Shorto (12 September 2004). "The Future of the Past”". The New York Times. Retrieved 18 January 2015.
- [dead link]
- "Barnes Elected President of Blue Hill Heritage Trust". The Ellsworth American. Retrieved 18 January 2015.