Peter Barstow Rockwell
|Born||September 16, 1936|
New Rochelle, New York, U.S.
|Died||February 6, 2020 (aged 83)|
Danvers, Massachusetts, U.S.
|Education||The Putney School|
Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts
Peter Rockwell (September 16, 1936 – February 6, 2020) was an American sculptor, and the author of several books about stone carving. He was associated with the Norman Rockwell Museum, named for his father.
Rockwell was born on September 16, 1936 in New Rochelle, New York, the son of Mary Barstow and painter and illustrator Norman Rockwell. Rockwell grew up in Vermont, where he was educated at The Putney School. He graduated from Haverford College in 1958, and he later attended the Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts.
Rockwell became a sculptor in Rome, Italy, where he spent most of his adult life. His father was initial reluctant to see his son pursue sculpture as a profession. Rockwell left Rome and produced sculptures at the Clay Dreaming Pottery Studio in Beverly, Massachusetts. He authored several books about stone carving.
Rockwell was associated with the Norman Rockwell Museum, named for his father, where he exhibited his work. His work was also examined in The Art of Making in Antiquity: Stoneworking in the Roman World, a research project at King's College London.
His sculptures can be seen in the United States at the National Portrait Gallery, the Washington National Cathedral, Boston College, the Cathedral of the Pines. They are also held in a convent in Chioggia, Italy and at the headquarters of the International Centre for the Study of the Preservation and Restoration of Cultural Property in Rome.
Personal life and death
- Rockwell, Peter (1994). The Art of Stoneworking. Cambridge, Massachusetts: Cambridge University Press. ISBN 978-0521413329. OCLC 851064901.
- Rockwell, Peter; Rosenfeld, Stanley; Hanley, Heather (2004). The Compleat Marble Sleuth. Sunny Isles Beach, Florida: Rockrose. ISBN 978-0974794600. OCLC 646062312.
- Dehejia, Vidya; Rockwell, Peter (2016). The Unfinished: Stone Carvers at Work on the Indian Subcontinent. New Delhi, India: Lustre Press. ISBN 9789351941149. OCLC 936543987.
- Grant, Annette (2009). Manring, Audrey (ed.). The Fantastical Faces of Peter Rockwell: A Sculptor's Retrospective. Stockbridge, Massachusetts: Norman Rockwell Museum. ISBN 9780961527341. OCLC 776582776.
- Marquard, Bryan (February 12, 2020). "Peter Rockwell, a sculptor and a son of Norman Rockwell, dies at 83". The Boston Globe. Retrieved February 14, 2020.
- Fanto, Clarence (February 11, 2020). "Rockwell son Peter, who wielded 'ebullient creative force' as sculptor, dies at 83". The Berkshire Eagle. Retrieved February 14, 2020.
- "In Memoriam: Peter Barstow Rockwell (1936 – 2020)". Norman Rockwell Museum. Retrieved February 14, 2020.
- "Marvels in Marble". North Adams Transcript. North Adams, Massachusetts. July 9, 2009. p. 21. Retrieved February 14, 2020 – via Newspapers.com.
- Leighton, Paul (March 15, 2018). "Famous son of a famous artist still creating". CNHI. Retrieved February 14, 2020 – via Wayback Machine.
- "The Project: The Art of Making in Antiquity: Stoneworking in the Roman World". King's College London. Retrieved February 14, 2020.
|This United States biographical article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|