|Born||September 21, 1948|
|Occupation||Investor, motivational speaker, author|
|Alma mater||University of California, San Diego|
|Notable works||Rule #1, Payback Time|
Philip Bradley Town is an American investor, motivational speaker, and financial writer.
Before Investing: The 1960s & 1970s
Phil Town was raised in Portland, Oregon. He graduated from high school in the 1960s. After four attempts at college, he earned a Bachelor of Arts degree in Philosophy from the University of California, San Diego. In 1972, following a stint in the US Army, Town found himself sleeping in a tent in Flagstaff, Arizona conducting whitewater rafting trips down the Colorado River.
Transition to Investor: The 1980s
In 1980, he ran a rafting expedition for trustees of the Outward Bound Program. The trip was nearly catastrophic when the boat almost capsized in a rough section of the Colorado River. One of the men on that trip told Phil that he could be “doing better than pumping rubber all summer and living on welfare in the off season.”
Phil's interest in meditation and spirituality led him to personalize what he had learned from his mentor. His values-based investing philosophy centers around four key principles he calls the Four M’s: Meaning, Moat, Management and Margin of Safety. In 2005, he began his Rule #1 blog where he teaches readers how to invest without compromising their own ethics. In 2006, Random House released his book Rule #1, The Simple Strategy for Successful Investing in Only 15 Minutes a Week! through its Crown imprint. It went to #1 on the New York Times bestseller list. Rule #1 was also on Business Week's bestseller list and USA Today’s list of top business books. Rule #1 is now published in 14 languages.
His second book, Payback Time, Making Big Money Is the Best Revenge!, was released by Random House in March, 2010 and immediately went to #1 on the NY Times bestseller list. Payback Time explains the concept of 'Stockpiling' stocks for long term high returns with low risk. ResultSource Inc (RSI) claims credit for getting "Payback Time" on the best seller lists "Phil Town's first book Rule #1 was a NYT #1 Bestseller. The success of his second book was highly anticipated, however, due to the content "Big Money" the timing of the books release created a lot of anxiety—it was released at the height of a world-wide economic storm.RSI orchestrated an intensive 3-week campaign to bolster awareness and ensure the book's release was the focal point of its primary target audience. Then, RSI coordinated the back-end system to process, track and confirm orders assuring that they will properly report to the appropriate bestseller lists. Results"#1 New York Times;#1 Wall Street Journal;#1 USA Today;#1 Amazon."" 
Phil Town regularly speaks on the Get Motivated stage which features prominent politicians, business people, entertainers, and athletes.” Get Motivated Seminars produces the world’s largest one-day business seminars, bringing together “the world’s greatest leaders and achievers” in the fields of business, politics, sports, entertainment, and philanthropy. He is a frequent guest on CNBC as well, having been featured on The Millionaire Inside series and is featured on the first and second episodes, “Your Guide to Wealth” and “Your Guide to Retiring Rich” along with David Bach and Barbara Corcoran. He is a regular contributor to MSNBC’s show Your Business, and has appeared on Maria Bartiromo’s show Closing Bell.
- Rule One Investing Official Site
- Rule #1 Channel
- Business Week's Bestseller List
- Motley Fool Review of Rule #1
- Interview with Phil Town
- Payback Time - Making big money is they best revenge
- MacDonald, Jay (2007-10-27). "Investment Tune-Up: Mutual Funds are for Losers". BankRate.com. Retrieved 2009-11-25.
- Valdes, Marcela. "Who's the Next Biz Guru?". Publisher's Weekly. Archived from the original on February 13, 2009. Retrieved 2009-11-26.
- "Author's Spotlight". Random House. http://randomhouse.com/. Retrieved 2009-11-27. External link in
- Thuermer, Jr., Angus (2006-04-12). "Town’s Rule #1 headed for No. 1". Jackson Hole News & Guide. Retrieved 2009-11-24.[dead link]
- Town, Phil. "Rule #1 Blog". Retrieved 2009-11-24.
- Rule #1
- Thuermer, Jr., Angus (2006-04-12). "Town’s Rule #1 headed for No. 1". Jackson Hole News & Guide. Retrieved 2009-11-24.
- "Result Source Inc Best Seller Campaigns, Payback Time. "Payback Time: Making Big Money Is the Best Revenge!". The WayBack Machine. Webarchive.org. Archived from the original on May 22, 2013. Retrieved 15 November 2014.
- Schwabel, Dan. "Personal Branding Interview".