Philipp Ludwig, Count Palatine of Neuburg
|Philipp Ludwig, Count Palatine of Neuburg|
Philip Louis, Count Palatine of Neuburg
2 October 1547|
|Died||22 August 1614
Neuburg an der Donau
|Noble family||House of Wittelsbach|
|Spouse(s)||Anna of Cleves|
|Father||Wolfgang, Count Palatine of Zweibrücken|
|Mother||Anna of Hesse|
Philipp Ludwig of Neuburg (2 October 1547 – 22 August 1614) was the Duke of Palatinate-Neuburg from 1569 until 1614.
Philipp Ludwig was born in Zweibrücken in 1547 as the eldest son of Wolfgang, Count Palatine of Zweibrücken. After his father's death in 1569, his lands were partitioned between Philipp Ludwig and his four brothers - Philipp Ludwig received the Duchy of Neuburg. He married Anna (1552–1632), daughter of Duke Wilhelm IV "the Rich" of Jülich-Cleves-Berg, in 1574 and used the marriage as the basis of his claim to inherit the duchies in the succession controversy against the Elector of Brandenburg after William IV's only son, John William, died without heirs. In 1613 Philip Louis's eldest son converted to Catholicism and gained the support of Spain and the Catholic League while Brandenburg received the support of the Netherlands.
The conversion of his son and heir was very difficult for the staunchly Lutheran Philipp Ludwig. By the Treaty of Xanten in 1614 the duchies were was partitioned without war: Philipp Ludwig received the Duchies of Jülich and Berg. He died in Neuburg in 1614 and was buried in Lauingen.
Marriage and children
- Countess Palatine Anna Maria of Neuburg (18 August 1575 – 11 February 1643), married on September 9, 1591 to Friedrich Wilhelm I, Duke of Saxe-Weimar.
- Dorothea Sabine (13 October 1576 – 12 December 1598)
- Wolfgang Wilhelm, Count Palatine of Neuburg (25 October 1578 – 20 March 1653)
- Otto Henry (28 October 1580 – 2 March 1581)
- Augustus, Count Palatine of Sulzbach (2 October 1582 – 14 August 1632)
- Amalia Hedwig (24 December 1584 – 15 August 1607)
- Johann Friedrich, Count Palatine of Sulzbach-Hilpoltstein (23 August 1587 – 19 October 1644)
- Sophie Barbara (3 April 1590 – 21 December 1591)
Philipp Ludwig, Count Palatine of NeuburgBorn: 1547 Died: 1614
|Count Palatine of Neuburg
|Duke of Jülich and Berg
|Count Palatine of Sulzbach