Brown on stage in 2011.
|Born||Iowa City, Iowa, United States|
|Instruments||Vocals, guitar, piano|
|Labels||Red House Records|
Pieta Brown (born 1973) is an American musician and singer-songwriter who has released five albums and three EPs. She has performed with artists such as Mark Knopfler, John Prine, Amos Lee, Justin Vernon and Calexico.
Brown was born in Iowa City, Iowa, United States. Her early upbringing was in Iowa. There, Brown was exposed to traditional and rural folk music through her father, singer songwriter Greg Brown. Brown spent her childhood living in 17 different residences between Iowa and Alabama. While living with her mother in Alabama, Brown began writing poetry and composing instrumental songs on piano.
Collaborator Bo Ramsey produced her 2002 debut record, Pieta Brown and co-produced her 2005 album In the Cool which was named one of the year's best by Amazon. Her next album Remember The Sun was released in 2007 and was cited as one of the year's best in a The Wall Street Journal article. After the release of her next album, One and All, Brown joined Mark Knopfler’s North American tour, had a string of performance dates with John Prine, participated in a full orchestral show with Brandi Carlile, and embarked on her own performance tour in Australia. Brown's 2009 EP, Shimmer was produced by Don Was after hearing her on his car radio in a live solo performance.
In addition to Mark Knopfler, John Prine and Brandi Carlile, Brown has shared stages with JJ Cale, Emmylou Harris, Richard Thompson, Ani DiFranco, Calexico, Neko Case, Mason Jennings, Shawn Mullins, Carrie Rodriguez and Jim Lauderdale. She has performed at festivals throughout North America including Bonnaroo, Mountain Jam, Edmonton Folk Music Festival and more. Her national radio credits include performances on eTown and Mountain Stage.
Brown is married to guitarist and producer, Bo Ramsey.
- Paradise Outlaw - (Red House Records, 2014)
- Mercury - (Red House Records, 2011)
- One and All - (Red House Records, 2010)
- Remember the Sun – (One Little Indian, 2007)
- In the Cool – (Valley Entertainment, 2005)
- Pieta Brown – (Trailer Records, 2002)
- Shimmer EP - (Red House Records, 2009)
- Flight Time EP - (T Records, 2008)
- I Never Told EP – (T Records, 2003)
Singles and compilations
- Dirt Road Blues - from the album A Nod to Bob 2 (Red House Records, 2011)
- King Of My Heart - from the album Think Out Loud. (Ezekiel Records, 2010)
- Birds - from the album Before The Goldrush: A Project to Benefit Teach For America (2008)
- This Land Is Your Land featuring Calexico (2007)
- Spell of Wheels - from the album A Case For Case: A Tribute to the Songs of Peter Case (2006)
Special guest appearances
- "The New Bohemian / Pieta Brown is the contemporary folk newcomer to watch out for". Sfgate.com. Retrieved 31 October 2014.
- "Red House Records - Pieta Brown". Redhouserecords.com. Retrieved 31 October 2014.
- [dead link]
- "Off the Radar, the Beat Goes On". Online.wsj.com. Retrieved 31 October 2014.
- "RHR227 - Shimmer - Pieta Brown 800-695-4687". Redhouserecords.com. Retrieved 31 October 2014.
- "MIDWESTERN WARES : Singer/Songwriter Pieta Brown Carries on the Iowan Plainsongs Pioneered by her Father, Greg Brown". Citypaper.com. Retrieved 31 October 2014.
- "In The Cool". Valley Entertainment. Retrieved 28 June 2010.
- Midwest Musicians Serve the Homeless through Music Think Out Loud, retrieved July 3, 2012
Media related to Pieta Brown at Wikimedia Commons