Pink Star (diamond)
|Weight||59.60 carats (11.920 g)|
|Color||Fancy Vivid Pink|
|Cut||Mixed Oval Brilliant (step cut crown, brilliant cut pavilion)|
|Discovered||1999; unveiled 29 May 2003|
|Estimated value||US$83.2 million (November 2013)|
The Pink Star, formerly known as the Steinmetz Pink, is a diamond weighing 59.60 carat (11.92 g), rated in color as Fancy Vivid Pink by the Gemological Institute of America. The Pink Star was mined by De Beers in 1999 in South Africa, and weighed 132.5 carat in the rough. The Pink Star is the largest known diamond having been rated Vivid Pink. As a result of this exceptional rarity, the Benny Steinmetz Group called Steinmetz Diamonds took a cautious 20 months to cut the Pink. It was unveiled in Monaco on 29 May 2003 in a public ceremony.
The Pink Star was displayed (as the Steinmetz Pink) as part of the Smithsonian's "The Splendor of Diamonds" exhibit, alongside the De Beers Millennium Star, the world’s second largest (the Cullinan I The Star of Africa is the largest) top colour (D) internally and externally flawless pear-shaped diamond at 203.04 carat (40.608 g), the Heart of Eternity Diamond, a 27.64 carat (5.582 g) heart-cut blue diamond and the Moussaieff Red Diamond, the world's largest known Fancy Red diamond at 5.11 carat (1.022 g).
2013 and 2017 auctions
The Pink Star was auctioned by Sotheby's Geneva on 13 November 2013. The sale price was CHF 68,000,000 (CHF 76,325,000, USD 83,187,381 including commission fees), a world record for a diamond of any colour and, indeed, for any gemstone. Prior to the sale, the record had been held by the Graff Pink. The Pink Star was bought by New York diamond cutter Isaac Wolf who renamed it The Pink Dream  however, according to Forbes magazine, the auction price was not settled by the buyer and the stone was again added to the Sotheby's inventory. The diamond remained with Sotheby's, as the 2013 buyer could not afford the price.
- 1999–2007: The Steinmetz Pink
- 2007–2017: The Pink Star
- 2017–present: CTF Pink Star
- List of diamonds
- Graff Pink (diamond); prior to the November 2013 auction the most expensive diamond of any color to be sold at auction.
- "Diamond to be sold by Sotheby's at record price of $60m". BBC News. 25 September 2013. Retrieved 25 September 2013.
- "Pink Star diamond fetches record $83m at auction". BBC News, Business. BBC. Retrieved 14 November 2013.
- Bennett, David (13 November 2013). "'The Pink Dream': An Auction Record for Any Jewel". Sotheby’s. Retrieved 14 November 2013.
- The $83 Million Pink Diamond Default Anthony DeMarco 1 March 2014
- Oppenheimer Blue diamond sets new auction record - BBC News
- Sheppard, David. "‘Pink Star’ diamond dazzles at Sotheby’s auction, selling for record $71m". www.ft.com. Retrieved 4 April 2017.
- Natural resources of Africa. "The Steinmetz Pink". Retrieved 26 April 2017.
- Smithsonian Museum of Natural History. "The Splendor of Diamonds". Retrieved 13 April 2005.
- The World of Famous Diamonds. "The Steinmetz Pink".