Platyptilia hokowhitalis is a species of moth in the family Pterophoridae. This species is endemic to New Zealand. This species has been classified as Data Deficient by the Department of Conservation.
This species was originally described and illustrated by George Hudson in 1939. He used a specimen collected on 10 November 1889 in Hokowhitu Bush in Palmerston North. Hudson had previously discussed the species in 1928 mistakenly under the name Platyptilia celidota. The holotype specimen is held at the Museum of New Zealand, Te Papa Tongarewa.
Hudson described the species as follows:
The expansion of the wings is 3⁄4 inch (19 mm.). The fore-wings are pale brownish-ochreous; a series of rather faint darker marks on costa from base to near origin of cleft ; a conspicuous black mark at base of cleft, almost at right angles with costa, its upper extremity being very slightly nearer base of wing than lower extremity ; cilia brownish-ochreous with slight blackish scale tufts on inner sides of cleft near termen, and strong tufts on dorsum. Hind-wings and cilia paler and slightly greyer than fore-wings ; the blackish scale tufts on dorsum of third plume quite evident.
- "Platyptilia hokowhitalis Hudson, 1939". www.nzor.org.nz. Landcare Research New Zealand Ltd. Retrieved 2018-06-03.
- Hudson, G. V. (1939). A supplement to the butterflies and moths of New Zealand. Wellington: Ferguson & Osborn Ltd. p. 430. OCLC 221041540. Retrieved 3 June 2018.
- Dugdale, J. S. (1988). "Lepidoptera - annotated catalogue, and keys to family-group taxa" (PDF). Fauna of New Zealand. 14: 1–269. ISBN 0477025188. Retrieved 3 June 2018.
- Hudson, G. V. (1928). The Butterflies and Moths of New Zealand. Wellington: Ferguson & Osborn Ltd. p. 209. OCLC 25449322.
- Gordon, Dennis P., ed. (2010). New Zealand inventory of biodiversity. Volume two. Kingdom animalia : chaetognatha, ecdysozoa, ichnofossils. Vol. 2. Christchurch, N.Z.: Canterbury University Press. p. 457. ISBN 9781877257933. OCLC 973607714.
- Patrick, B. H.; Dugdale., J. S. (2000). "Conservation status of the New Zealand Lepidoptera" (PDF). Science for conservation. 136: 29. ISBN 0478218672. ISSN 1173-2946 – via Department of Conservation.
- Hoare, R.J.B.; Dugdale, J.S.; Edwards, E.D.; Gibbs, G.W.; Patrick, B.H.; Hitchmough, R.A.; Rolfe, J.R. (2017). "Conservation status of New Zealand butterflies and moths (Lepidoptera), 2015" (PDF). New Zealand Threat Classification Series. 20: 5.
|Wikispecies has information related to Platyptilia hokowhitalis|
|This article on a moth of the Pterophoridae family is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|