Po' Monkey's lounge is located in unincorporated Bolivar County, Mississippi, United States, outside Merigold. Located in the Mississippi Delta, it is a juke joint located in cotton fields in a one-room house. The juke joint was founded in 1961 and is one of the last rural juke joints in the Mississippi Delta.
These historic music houses have always been places where "farm workers could relax, drink beer, and listen to music." Po' Monkey's is operated by owner William Seaberry, and is only open one night a week, Thursday.
The Mississippi Blues Commission placed a historic marker at the Po Monkey's Lounge in 2009 designating it as a site on the Mississippi Blues Trail for its contribution to the development of the blues (and one of the few authentic juke joints that is still operating today).
Mr. Willie Seaberry, "Po' Monkey", was found deceased on July 14, 2016. It is unknown what will happen to Po' Monkey's lounge now that Seaberry has died.
- Holt, Jerry (November 30, 2007). "Juke Joint: Po' Monkey's Lounge, Merigold, Miss.". Minneapolis Star-Tribune. Archived from the original on October 22, 2007. Retrieved 2015-03-12.
- Luther Brown, "Inside Poor Monkey's", Southern Spaces, 22 June 2006.
- "Three Icons of the Delta". Blueshighway.org. 1927-04-21. Retrieved 2015-03-12.
- "Po' Monkey's". Msbluestrail.org. Retrieved 2015-03-12.
- Press, Associated. "Willie Seaberry, Owner of Mississippi's Po' Monkey's Juke Joint, Dies at 75 - Afro".
|This Mississippi-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|