Point Break Live!
|Point Break Live!|
|Written by||Jaime Keeling|
|Place premiered||Little Theatre, Northwest Film Forum
Point Break Live! is a parody by Jaime Keeling of the 1991 Keanu Reeves, Patrick Swayze extreme sports movie Point Break. Sometimes credited as the first-ever "reality-play", each performance features a new, unrehearsed actor in the protagonist role of "Keanu", reading their lines from cue-cards delivered by a production assistant.
How it works
At the start of the show, audience members who wish to play Johnny Utah are called on stage and put through a quick faux-audition. The winner is then selected by audience Applause-o-meter. A cue card assistant (cast member) leads Utah around the stage throughout the play and shows him or her the lines on laminated cards. The play is an over-the-top, action-packed comedy.
The play premiered in a sold-out 2-month run co-directed by Jaime Keeling and Jamie Hook at Seattle's Northwest Film Forum and has since toured throughout the country, including extended runs at the Bryant-Lake Bowl in Minneapolis and Galapagos Art Space in Brooklyn, New York. The show played recently at the La Tea Theater in Manhattan. It previously played at Charlie O's Lounge in the Hotel Alexandria in downtown Los Angeles, where much of the movie took place, and premiered on October 1, 2008 at the V Theater at the Miracle Mile Shops in Las Vegas. Producer-Director Eve Hars brought the show to Chicago's New Rock Theater, where it ran from March to October 2010, and reopened for a short spring run in 2011.
The show's longest run to date is in LA/Hollywood, where it opened in 2007.
Point Break Live! is currently running at:
- The Dragonfly in Hollywood
- The DNA Lounge in San Francisco
- The Theatre Guild of Ancon (Community Theatre in English) in Panama City, Panama - June 20 – 29, 2013
- The Alley Theater in Louisville, Kentucky.
The San Francisco production ran sequentially across 4 different venues between April 11, 2008 and July 31, 2010. All but 2 of its performances sold out. During this period, the show closed out its first venue (The Xenodrome) and last venue (The Metreon) due to impending reconstruction projects.
- Notable figures who have played Johnny Utah in the production include: Lori Petty (who played Utah's girlfriend Tyler Endicott in the movie), Justin Pierre from the band Motion City Soundtrack, Juli Crockett, Andre Ethier (outfielder for the LA Dodgers), and stand-up comedian Jake Weisman.
- Gary Busey made a special appearance on stage at the Dragonfly production. (See video.)
- Patrick O'Sullivan from the ABC sitcom "The Neighbors" played Angelo Pappas/Gary Busey in the show from 2011-2013.
- Other celebrity attendees include Kirsten Dunst and Justin Long, writer Peter Iliff, and director Kathryn Bigelow.
- Mayor Gavin Newsom declared April 11, 2008 "Point Break Live! Day" in San Francisco.
- Point Break Live! hit the #1 spot on E! Daily 10 in 2008.
- ABC News Nightline aired a segment about Point Break Live! in 2009.
- WGN aired a segment of Chicago's Best with Brittney Payton, daughter of Walter Payton interviewing the cast
- Klasfield, Adam. "Writer Can Copyright 'Point Break' Parody". Courthouse News Service. Retrieved 2012-12-27.
- Adcock, Joe (2003-08-22). "'Point Break Live!' takes its cue from the ridiculous". Seattle Post-Intelligencer. Retrieved 2006-09-01.
- Martín Lazzarini. "To The Point of Being Ridiculed: The First Ever 'Reality-Play', as another L.A. phenomenon". Latino Weekly Review. Retrieved 2008-02-29.
- Jeff Connell. "Remembering Bodhi". face2face film. Retrieved 2009-09-15.
- "History: A Cinematheque". Northwest Film Forum.
- "Bryant Lake Bowl schedule for 2005-01-20". Retrieved 2006-08-01.
- "Galapagos art space events Feb 13-19". Retrieved 2006-08-01.
- "The Guide: Point Break Live! at Charlie O's Cocktail Lounge". Archived from the original on 2008-01-13. Retrieved 2008-03-30.
- GroovesGirlVegas. "Point Break Live! in Las Vegas...". What's Happening, Vegas?. Retrieved 2008-10-02.
- BWW News Desk. "POINT BREAK LIVE! Begins Open-Ended Chicago Run 3/19". Chicago Broadway World. Retrieved 2010-03-19.
- Erin Broadley. "LA People 2009: Point Break Live!'s Punk Theater Impresario — Thomas Blake". LAWeekly. Retrieved 2009-04-20.
- Nichols, David C. "Point Break Live! (Critic's Choice)". Los Angeles Times: Entertainment Section. Retrieved 2007-11-09.[dead link]
- "Point Break Live! info & tickets". TheaterMania. Retrieved 2008-05-30.
- "Point Break Live! Panama info & tickets". The Theatre Guild Ancon. Retrieved 2013-06-20.
- "‘Casting’ en vivo y el público elige". PanamaAmerica. Retrieved 2013-06-20.
- "Point Break Live! info & tickets". TheaterMania. Retrieved 2009-10-22.
- Mancini, Vince. "INTERVIEW: 16 Questions with Point Break Live! Director/Producer Thomas Blake".
- Brown, David. "Andre Ethier stars as Keanu Reeves' Johnny Utah in 'Point Break LIVE'".
- Juli Crockett. "today was an underpants day…". Juli Crockett Loves You (blog). Retrieved 2008-02-11.
- Erin Broadley. "Utah, Get Me Two! Gary Busey Joins Point Break Live! at the Dragonfly". LAWeekly. Retrieved 2009-05-25.
- "Kirsten Dunst visits Point Break Live!". pointbreaklive blog & photos. Retrieved 2008-08-25.
- Christopher Buttner. "Can You Keanu?". PRThatRocks. Retrieved 2008-10-28.
- "The writer of "Point Break" is a fan!!". pointbreaklive blog & photos. Retrieved 2007-10-23.
- "Kathryn Bigelow, the director...". pointbreaklive blog & photos. Retrieved 2007-10-14.
- Christopher Buttner. "Mayor Gavin Newsom Proclaims April 11, 2008, Point Break Live! Day". PRThatRocks. Retrieved 2008-04-12.
- Christopher Buttner. "Point Break Live, E! Daily 10". E! Daily 10. Retrieved 2008-04-12.
- Brian Rooney. "Vaya Con Dios". ABC News Nightline. Retrieved 2009-12-08.
- Ted Brunson and Brittney Payton. "'Point Break Live:' Action, Thrills & Beer!". Chicago's Best. Retrieved 2010-05-23.