Poken is a cloud-based event management platform. The company offers products and services that include registration and badging, match-making, meeting scheduling, mobile apps, NFC interactive USB devices, lead generation devices, gamification, access control and metric reporting.
The company Poken S.A. was founded in December 2007 in Lausanne, Switzerland, by Stéphane Doutriaux. The founder had come up with the business idea while doing his MBA at IMD, a business school in Lausanne. The development of the technology was done in collaboration with the Berner Fachhochschule, a university of applied sciences situated in Biel, Switzerland. The project start was in July 2008 and ended in December of the same year . The first product range called the ‘Sparks’ was introduced in January 2009. Since the initial development of the Poken Spark, the company has expanded its lines of products and services.
Poken currently has a network of partners and resellers in over 12 countries, with headquarters in London, Lausanne, Dubai and New York. Poken has delivered events in over 80 international locations.
Products and Services
The Poken interactive USB device utilizes Near Field Communication (NFC) technology to allow the exchange of online social networking data between two devices. The primary information exchanged via the poken is a ‘social business card’, a digital replacement for a physical business card. By touching two devices together, a unique ID is exchanged that links to contact information on the Poken website. Contact information acquired by use of the poken can be uploaded to the poken website using a built-in USB connector. The user's poken contact card can contain any information they want to share, for example URLs, mobile number, email address, and location. It can also be configured with links to the user on over 40 social networking sites.
When used in conjunction with Poken Touch points, the Poken interactive USB can collect digital content via touch, such as brochures and magazines, media wall content and digital surveys.
The Super Touch Point is a digital sticker than enables event attendees to collect digital information, such as company and sales literature, social media links, or video, by simply touching their NFC enabled event badge to the Touch Point. The digital information contained in the Touch Point, loaded up by the exhibitor using a simple web interface, is sent automatically to the visitors’ email or can be accessed through an online web portal.
Poken’s new Real-Time Touch Point shares all the features of the Super Touch Point, while also allowing information to be gathered and collected in real time using an embedded GSM module, for events that need up to the minute data collection such as for real-time session check-in or tracking attendance at meetings in real time.
Awards and Accolades
- Swiss ICT Award- Best Newcomer, 2009
- Tech Crunch Europa- Best Real World Gadget, 2009
- Red Herring Europe- Top 100 Finalist, 2011
- Mobile World Congress- Best Innovation in Mobile Advertising, 2012
- E.X.C.I.T.E- Innovation in the Event Industry-Silver, 2012
- GMIC Green Meeting Industry Award (GMIC NCC),2015
- CTI/KTI Swiss Government Innovation Grant- 2016
- "Poken expands its partnership with Reed Exhibitions to provide additional technology solutions for ibtm america 2016". Event Industry News. Event Industry News. Retrieved 23 August 2016.
- Colston, Paul. "Poken selected as Technology Partner for International Confex 2016". Conferencenews.com. Mash Media. Retrieved 23 August 2016.
- "Home". Poken. Retrieved 6 November 2014.
- "A new wave of innovation for Poken". venturelab.com. Retrieved 23 August 2016.
- "Poken Contact". www.poken.com. Poken.
- "Poken intregrates new iBeacon and NFC in new Super and Real-time Touchpoints". incentivetravel.co.uk. Retrieved 23 August 2016.
- "Swiss ICT Award- Poken, Wuala und Amazee uberzuegen die Jury". Venturelab. Venturelab. Retrieved 23 August 2016.
- "Tech crunch Europa Awards- Quick Round Up". compuerweekly.com. computerweekly.com. Retrieved 23 August 2016.
- "Die Finlaisten der REd Herring Top100". venturelab.com. venture lab. Retrieved 23 August 2016.
- "Poken wins Global Mobile Award at Mobile World Congress". startupticker.ch. Start Up Ticker. Retrieved 23 August 2016.
- Schon, Eugene. "E.X.C.I.T.E. awards recognizes Poken's innovations in the events industry". alpict.com. AlpICT.com. Retrieved 23 August 2016.
- "Poken receives 1 million innovation award". eventindustrynews.co.uk. event industry news. Retrieved 23 August 2016.
- FoxNews.com Covers Poken
- TechCrunch Coverage of Poken Techcrunch
- Robert Scoble Interview w/ Founder Stephane Doutriaux Robert Scoble
- CBS MarketWatch Coverage of Poken MarketWatch
- Poken Wins TechCrunch Europa Award
- Poken: Extending Online Social Networking into The Real World Google Tech Talk
- Poken Company Profile
- A new wave of innovation for Poken